About the Job
What the job is, in sum:
This invitation to join our global team of gender and business experts at Value for Women will focus on shaping our organization’s business and relationship development efforts, and oversee a portfolio of consulting projects. The ideal person will be an expert problem solver who is quick to adapt and be flexible to changing realities. They will be a solid communicator, an innovative thinker and have soft–skills for people–management. They will be able to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders; including groups of investors and asset holders as well as beneficiary populations. The ability to quickly understand our core business model and the service offering of our organization is essential, as key to bring in new partnerships and projects that align with our mission. The ideal candidate will have experience providing gender lens advisory services to investors, donors, and businesses. Our team works best with people who interact positively, who are results–based, entrepreneurial and client–centred.
The main responsibilities:
We are a dynamic, changing organization that is highly collaborative. We pride ourselves on this structure and on our ability to adapt and continue to maintain relevance in the gender, SME and impact investing space. The following outlines the key responsibilities, and we seek someone who can grow and change along with us; lending their talent, insights, relationships and leadership to the work.
Development (40% of total effort)
- Support the development of long-term strategy toward the expansion of VFW models, services and products
- Develop innovative ideas for testing (new products and services)
- Design and lead a strategy for developing new partnerships, projects and funding opportunities against agreed targets
- Develop and maintain key industry relationships and partnerships
- Ensure visibility in industry spaces (networks, conferences, etc focused on gender lens investing, impact investing, entrepreneurship)
- Proposal writing and meetings
- Communications for visibility, influencing and generating partnerships (10% of total effort)
- Develop powerful materials to effectively communicate our work to a broad audience of partners and collaborators
- Ongoing analysis of the needs of our market; alignment with internal strategy and external communications
- Provide insights about the most recent trends in the fields and sectors VFW works in, and about our markets
Management and oversight to a portion of Value for Women’s project portfolio (50% of total effort)
- Provide key strategic oversight for projects and teams delivering projects, to ensure VFW exceeds client/partner expectations
- Manage a team of consultants (3+) on a small portfolio of global projects (preferably located in Africa or Asia or both)
- Provide oversight, advisory and management to this portfolio on topics such as gender and investing, SME-building, gender and business, gender and climate or energy
- Offer support to the consulting team carrying out research, training, advisory services and the development of learning products
- Collaborate and liaise with the management team and the business manager
Additionally, our team is exceptional at:
- Thriving in a matrix-based organizational structure; operating internationally as a distributed team across the globe
- Working independently while focused on results AND collaboration
- Putting the principles of trust, equality of opportunities and transparency in practice
- Demonstrating alignment with Value for Women’s mission, vision and ways of working
- Speaking the diverse language of our multiple stakeholders across the globe
- Designing and delivering training activities, remote and in-person
- Learning, adapting, and demonstrating their excitement for contributing to the growth of a small and growing business with a social mission
- Travel is a core part of this role. Up to 30% of the role is expected to involve regional and/or globally travel, global health situation permitting.
What experience & qualifications we value for this role:
- Higher-level education in Business Administration, International Development, Finance, Public Policy or related fields is desired
- Minimum of ten years of professional experience, five of which must be in a field related to consulting, international or economic development, impact investing, entrepreneurship with SMEs, finance and/or policy
- Demonstrated knowledge and practical expertise in gender, women’s economic empowerment, women’s entrepreneurship, SME ecosystems, markets, value chain, agriculture, sustainable energy and/or international development
- Excellent communications skills including effective writing skills (in English, with another language a major asset), people skills and relationship management
- Demonstrated expertise in the design and implementation of business development strategy and generating partnerships
- Management experience (people management, project, client relationships and strategy)
Send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application” in the subject line.
Deadline for applications is June 16, 2020.
Value for Women
More about who we are:
Value for Women(VFW) is a global social enterprise that works closely with partners to design and implement research, technical assistance, evaluations, tools and blended capacity–building initiatives in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean focused on impact investing and the SME space. Our organisation firmly believes in the MSME sector as key for economic and social growth, and that women’s empowerment and gender inclusion are intrinsic to this when unlocking women’s potential to drive growth at the individual, family and community levels in emerging economy contexts.
We develop close, collaborative, long–term partnerships to identify and test new solutions that drive the impact investment and SME sector forward in order to maximise impact for underserved individuals, and with gender and social inclusion at the core. We work on gender, entrepreneurship, investment and SME–growth, in various sectors including agriculture, finance, climate and energy.Our efforts focus on practical, hands–on, implementable actions towards research, learning, design of products and services, and evaluation with a gender lens. We work with our partners to clearly demonstrate the business case and the social impact value of their work. We seek to combine existing expertise, experience, and knowledge of our partners for innovation; emphasising economic and social inclusion while addressing immediate needs as well as strategic, long–term interests of the stakeholders our clients serve. Our team participates in key thought–leadership on gender lens investing and has acted in diverse advisory capacities for DFIs, donors, corporate foundations, INGOs, banks, SGBs, etc. Our partnerships include organizations such as the Interamerican Development Bank (IDB Invest), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), Carbon Trust, Finca Forward, Calvert Impact Capital, FMO, Shell Foundation, Walmart Foundation, Investing in Women of the Australian Government (DFAT), the Department for International Development (DfID UK), the Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs, Root Capital, the International Labour Organisation, Sistema BioBolsa, Dharma Life, Mkopa, and many others. Our team operates out of Africa, Asia, the Americas and Europe.