About the Job
Acceso Fellowship Program
The Acceso Fellowship Program is a two to twelve-month program giving graduate students and driven young professionals the opportunity to obtain hands-on, real-world experience supporting or working within a portfolio of innovative social businesses.
About the Fellowship Program
Acceso currently operates a portfolio of four social businesses in Colombia, Haiti, and El Salvador, with several new opportunities under analysis in new geographies. Across our agribusinesses, we have impacted more than 15,000 smallholder farmers and farm workers, generating more than $44m in farmer income to date.
Changing lives at scale through innovative social business models is a task requiring the collaboration of creative, entrepreneurial, and bright minds from a variety of backgrounds from around the globe. The Acceso team, including senior management of its businesses, is currently comprised of 20+ individuals in four countries from a variety of backgrounds including private equity, engineering, impact investing, consulting, logistics, agriculture, international development, sales, and accounting. In just over five years, our innovative model has scaled to annual portfolio revenues of over $20m and breakeven EBITDA. Our model incorporates numerous partners including major national and international retailers, fast food chains, hotels, foundations, and impact investors including Acumen and Global Partnerships.
As we continue to scale our businesses and replicate our model, we are seeking motivated graduate students and young professionals looking to tackle the intricacies of operating social businesses first-hand. By joining our team, Acceso fellows will directly learn from Acceso experts about operations management, business case development, best practices in farmer management, financial and social reporting, and other topics.
The Acceso Fellowship Program is a two to twelve-month program (dependent upon agribusiness project needs and fellow schedules), throughout which Acceso fellows will have the unique opportunity to obtain hands-on, real-world experience within a portfolio of social businesses.
There are two types of placements:
- New York-based placements working with Acceso’s central team in New York for graduate students or young professionals in the U.S.
- In-country placements working directly with Acceso agribusinesses in Colombia, Haiti and El Salvador. At this time because of COVID-19 travel restrictions, candidates must be local and already based in those countries to apply.
Based on experience and interest level, Acceso fellows will tackle real issues, develop strategies, and oversee projects in diverse work areas ranging from data management, finance and accounting, operations, social impact, and fundraising. The fellowship is unpaid, however Acceso will cover all fellowship-related travel expenses and in some cases provide a modest monthly stipend. Additionally, we are exploring partnership opportunities with universities so that students can obtain academic credit and/or funding from their institution.
Examples of past fellowship projects
- Overseeing setup and deployment of farmer network management platform (Haiti).
- Developing marketing plan for new export products (New York).
- Developing and deploying operations dashboards (Côte d’Ivoire).
- Coaching local sales teams and developing new sales dashboard tools (Haiti).
- Updating and delivering new farmer training modules (Haiti).
- Planning and executing operational expansion to new regions (Indonesia).
- Financial modeling and rollout of new systems and software (Colombia).
Current projects seeking Acceso fellows
- Developing and implementing export strategies for multiple products from Acceso agribusinesses (New York with possible travel to Haiti, Colombia and El Salvador)
- Improving Acceso agribusiness financial, operational and social data analytics (New York with possible travel to Haiti, Colombia and El Salvador)
- Leading pre-construction phase for new processing and collection centers (Haiti)
- Deploying farmer to consumer traceability tool (Colombia and El Salvador)
- Improving farmer training programs and incorporating updated services (Haiti and Colombia)
Fellow profiles and requirements
Fellows are proven professionals who contribute valuable business acumen and experience to our teams on the ground. Skills we look for include:
- strong analysis and research
- business plan development
- financial modeling
- organizational development
- project and time management
Experience and other criteria we look for:
- Minimum of two years’ full-time work experience, often in management consulting, financial services, corporate strategy, logistics, international development or industry
- High degree of enthusiasm and flexibility
- A passion and commitment to effect social change
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work comfortably in unfamiliar, entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and challenging environments
- Strong team player and experience working with cross-cultural and international teams
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, and/or Haitian Creole is required for in-country positions
How to apply
We welcome applications on a rolling basis. The Acceso Fellowship Program aligns candidate skills and interests with project requirements, and applicants are interviewed as new opportunities emerge. Please note that the process for becoming an Acceso fellow is highly selective and competitive.
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the program, what part it will play in your career development, current project of interest, and timing/length of service to email@example.com with the subject “Acceso Fellowship Program”.