About the Job
The NICM Real Assets team is charged with creating a diversified, impact-driven portfolio with a broad domestic and international footprint across working lands and natural resources. The Real Assets Associate position will support mission-aligned investments in community-based forestry, sustainable & regenerative agriculture, and environmental markets, with a focus on investment research, due diligence, financial analysis, and investment memorandum writing. The Associate will also assist with transaction closing and post-investment management of direct and fund investments.
As part of a small team, the Associate will play a key role in advancing the Real Assets investment program. Key responsibilities include:
- Evaluate investment opportunities by analyzing market trends, business models, and deal-specific investment risks, enabling New Island to make effective and analytically driven investment decisions.
- Create robust dynamic financial models for potential and existing investments.
- Conduct in-depth due diligence on prospective investments and operating partners.
- Compose well-organized written investment recommendations and oral presentations to support Investment Committee decision-making.
- Assist with legal documentation and fund administration processes to complete transactions.
- Support post-investment management by working with our finance team and investment partners to develop the necessary financial and operational reports in a timely manner.
- Identify promising investment opportunities through sector and/or regional landscape research.
- Contribute thoughtfully and fully to the ongoing interpretation and evolution of an impact real assets investment practice, including identifying themes, metrics, and theories of change as they apply to real assets and community/environmental benefit.
- Continually expand the knowledge base of the organization.
- Relevant undergraduate degree in business, finance, economics, or natural resources (including agriculture and forestry). This position does not require a graduate degree.
- Two to four years of relevant work experience in finance, mission-focused investing, or natural resources management.
- Demonstrated ability to create well-constructed dynamic financial models and valuation analyses in Excel is a must.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public presentations, and writing detailed investment memorandums.
- Outstanding investment, analytical, and quantitative skills with high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated potential to be creative, flexible, resourceful, and disciplined in supporting a complex mission-driven investment plan.
- Ability to work in a small, nimble organization.
- Possess high standards of personal and professional ethics and integrity, as well as a strong work ethic and collaborative attitude.
Prior experience in mission-focused investing is preferred, but, above all, New Island Capital seeks to recruit an outstanding candidate who has a demonstrated passion for not only the investment business, but also for the organization’s mission and core values.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Associate – Real Assets” in the subject line.
Your cover letter should explain your qualifications for the position, relevant real assets experience, investment capabilities, and motivations and experience in achieving impactful solutions to environmental and social issues, particularly as they relate to working lands, forestry, agriculture, environmental markets, and/or other natural resources. It should also include a range for your salary expectation.
New Island Capital Management
New Island Capital Management (NICM) is a San Francisco-based investment advisor, focused exclusively on investments delivering risk-adjusted financial returns while striving to accomplish environmental and social good. We have a long-term horizon, invest globally, and select investments across all asset classes.