About the Job
About RENEW and the Role
RENEW offers a rare opportunity to join a rapidly growing impact-focused consulting firm working on the front lines of some of the fastest-growing economies in Africa. Since 2012, RENEW has been pioneering an innovative blended-finance model that focuses on high-potential small and medium enterprises (SMEs) trapped in Africa’s missing middle. RENEW’s model enables its investors, members of the Impact Angel Network (IAN), to invest in deal sizes that are smaller than those of traditional equity funds operating in the region. RENEW then helps these companies scale through a systematically applied, hands-on active management approach. As a result of our investment work in Ethiopia, RENEW and the IAN have become the most active investment firm in Ethiopia and the IAN has grown to become the largest North American angel network dedicated to investing in SMEs in Africa.
At RENEW we have a deep belief that drives our work: At RENEW we focus on opportunities in developing nations rather than on problems. When invest rather than provide handouts. We find promising businesses in Africa, connect them to investors around the world and grow them into world-class companies. We do this because we believe that many growing businesses together create the engine that lifts entire nations out of poverty. Our vision is to be investing in 20 countries across Africa, to grow the IAN to over a thousand members, and build hundreds of market-leading companies across the continent of Africa.
In candidates, we look for those who align with our values. At RENEW we value loyalty, hard work and a trailblazing attitude; we welcome challenges! What we do is not easy, but it is rewarding. We hire those who are committed to their work, take pride in what they do and embody integrity.
RENEW invites driven and like-minded professionals to apply and join us in pursuing this mission. At this time, we are seeking talented candidates for the position of Legal & Operations Assistant.
Legal and Regulatory Support
- Support RENEW’s General Counsel and Associate General Counsel with research and regulatory compliance tasks, as needed
- Perform and support contracts management functions
- Manage, populate and organize electronic data rooms and documents
- Support compliance with annual tax, regulatory, and other filing requirements
- Draft and review correspondence
- 2+ years of experience as a legal assistant, paralegal, or office manager/operations assistant in a law firm or investment firm environment
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A track record of high performance educationally and professionally
Skills and Characteristics
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Excellent writing and copyediting abilities
- Acute attention to detail and discipline
- A demonstrated interest in impact investments or investments in frontier markets is a plus
- An ability to evaluate systems, identify and implement change, and document standard operating procedures, helping to bring increasing order
- An ability to work as a team player with a high level of integrity and passion for his/her work and RENEW’s mission
- The ability for high output while working independently
RENEW invites qualified applicants to submit their CV, along with a cover letter describing their qualifications related to the requirements for this position, their salary expectations and the reasons for applying, to email@example.com. Applicants should include their undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) GPAs in their CVs.
Only complete applications will be considered. Please do not submit an application without each of the elements listed above. We may request a writing sample, references and other materials from candidates who advance through the application process.
RENEW is an experienced facilitator of an innovative investment model that brings the development community, the host government, foreign investors, and local companies together around a shared goal: to grow the private sector in African economies while creating lasting change for its communities through job creation and positive social impact. RENEW’s model is a public-private-partnership that lowers the transaction costs which normally prevent foreign investments from flowing into SMEs in frontier markets. RENEW organizes and supports such medium-sized investments made by the Impact Angel Network (IAN), the largest U.S. based impact angel network for Africa. RENEW acts as the IAN’s in-country support team and provides consulting and investment services that span across all aspects of the investment process. RENEW’s model seeks to reduce the costs and risks foreign investors experience when investing in developing countries, and to increase the local awareness and strength of the business community in an effort to attract larger equity investments for its companies.