About the Job
Join Walk Free to help mobilise the financial sector to combat human trafficking and modern slavery.
We are looking for a dynamic, experienced professional with experience in the financial sector and experience working on sustainability, ESG criteria and/or business and human rights issues. Based in Singapore, with a regional remit, you will work with stakeholders to raise awareness of human trafficking and modern slavery in Asia-Pacific and the financial sector’s role in combatting it.
This is an exciting new role in the Walk Free team which will work in partnership with the Finance Against Slavery and Trafficking (FAST) initiative (see ) and the United Nations University Centre for Policy Research. The key objective of this role will be to lead and support investors, funds, banks and other financial sector institutions to take action against slavery.
In close cooperation with the FAST Initiative, to lead efforts in the Asia-Pacific region to promote engagement with business, government and civil society stakeholders to implement the priorities set out in the FAST Blueprint, including:
- raising awareness with investors;
- strengthening ESG risk analysis and rating criteria;
- improving the use of financial data in investigations and improving AML tools and frameworks;
- sharing knowledge, tools and resources for the financial sector to conduct due diligence and identify, prevent and mitigate the risk of modern slavery in its supply chains;
- identifying financial products and tools that promote financial inclusion and reduce vulnerability to slavery; and
- identifying and promoting legal and policy changes that support this work including market regulation, government procurement incentives.
To carry out these objectives, you will:
- Serve as the on-the-ground representative of the FAST initiative in Asia-Pacific, acting as the first point of inquiry and liaison between business, government and civil society actors;
- Convene and present at regional meetings and facilitate partnerships to support the objectives.
- Engage with business and government leaders through the Bali Process Government and Business Forum, acting as the coordinator of the Forum’s Financial Sector workstream;
- Become a trusted adviser for the regional and international financial community and promote the role of the financial sector to combat modern slavery.
- Report on relevant developments in this area in the Asia-Pacific.
- Build the visibility of the FAST Initiative through strategic media engagement.
- Broaden the FAST Initiative network and manage key stakeholder relationships.
- Translate resulting knowledge into communications, advocacy and policy materials, and work with the rest of the Walk Free team to integrate knowledge and communications into our broader output.
- Relevant tertiary qualification with 8+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working in, with or on the financial sector.
- Good understanding of and/or experience working on modern slavery and human trafficking issues, or in related business and human rights or sustainability contexts.
- Strong networks in the financial/business community in the Indo-Pacific region. Civil society networks desirable.
- Fluent in English. Additional languages desirable.
- Strong writing ability and impeccable communication skills – must be able to produce targeted communications for high level stakeholders.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and administrative issues simultaneously.
- Confident public speaker and ability to lead meetings with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience developing and managing stakeholder networks or communities is a plus.
- Willingness to tackle new challenges.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently.
- Strong relationship-building skills, friendly and cooperative.
- Ability to travel when required.
Walk Free, Minderoo Foundation
Minderoo Foundation is a philanthropic organisation that strives to solve major global challenges through our seven key initiatives.
Walk Free is an initiative of Minderoo Foundation which works towards ending modern slavery by building an evidence base to advocate and engage with governments, businesses, faiths and communities.
Culture and Values
Family, Courage, Humility, Frugality, Empowerment, Enthusiasm, Determination, Innovation