About the Job
What you will do
We are looking for an Intern to join our offices in Singapore for at least 2 months. This is a unique opportunity for someone who is seriously considering a career in impact, and wants to be part of a highly selective team of professionals working at the cutting edge of impact investing.
Amongst your responsibilities will be:
- Supporting client engagements focused on executing innovative Pay For Success projects, such as by conducting:
- Quantitative and qualitative research on social issues, service gaps, and evidence-driven interventions in Singapore and around the world
- Financial and economic modeling to estimate the impact of interventions to government and society
- Helping to create new opportunities by exploring how to create value for clients, including:
- Supporting the writing of policy briefs about potential applications of the Pay For Success tool
- Helping to scope work and write proposals for client engagements
- Supporting firm-building initiatives that play a critical role in helping the firm deliver its mission in a sustainable and scalable way, such as by:
- Helping to develop internal firm systems
- Refining firm intellectual property and external materials
The internship is a paid full-time role based in Singapore, targeted at final year or recent graduates of undergraduate and postgraduate programs. We are a skills-based organization, so are open to candidates with a diversity of backgrounds. We are open to a variety of starting dates, but as we provide significant training as part of this internship, we ask that applicants commit for at least 2 months. If successful, the internship has a possibility of converting to a full-time position, depending on organizational needs at the time.
This internship is only open to Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents.
What you should have
The skills and attributes our successful Interns have reflect the nature of our work, which is analytical, collaborative, and challenging. The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent Analytical and Research Skills: Excellent ability to break down problems, structure research approaches, gather data, conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses, and ensure deliverable quality in writing, Excel and Powerpoint
- Efficient Workstream Management Ability: Efficient time and project management skills to enable effective execution of complex workstreams in a fast-paced setting
- Stakeholder Management Tact: Ability to translate across fields, communicate complex ideas, and sensitively influence senior and working-level stakeholders from different sectors
- Independent Problem Solving Ability: Entrepreneurial temperament, resourceful nature, and excitement about a flat, “all hands-on-deck” environment
- Drive for Social Impact: Driving personal passion for creating systems-level social change and tackling the root causes of social problems
- Kindness and Humility: Deep care for the people we serve and for the team; a combination of intellectual curiosity and humility in seeking continuous improvement in themselves, our organization, and the impact we create
For more experienced candidates, the following background would be an advantage:
- Prior project and client management experience, especially in delivering professional services engagements
- Prior government experience in Singapore
- Prior social sector experience
- Legal training, especially in corporate and/or contract law
What we can offer
We are one of the few organizations in Asia doing this work, and believe we can offer our interns a uniquely meaningful professional experience:
- Startup environment. We are a fast-moving and nimble team that is an idea meritocracy. You will get to experience the excitement of getting involved in the various aspects of running a venture-philanthropy backed startup, and learn habits that improve your own intellectual rigor and work productivity.
- Professional development. You will receive both formal and on-the-job training from our team of professionals, who can offer you a killer combination of skills in financial modeling, consulting, policy analysis, econometrics, and stakeholder management.
- Unparalleled exposure. You will be doing genuinely impactful work and seeing the frontlines with our project teams from day 1. We sit at the cutting edge of several fields, from impact investing, to data analysis, to tri-sector collaboration – you will get to see a lot in a very short time.
- Mission focus. You will get to wake up every day asking how you can make society a better place, and get to work with colleagues who care about things as much as you do, with the backing of a platform that enables you to do so.
- Potential pathway to conversion. If you succeed, and depending on organizational needs, this internship could convert to a rare full-time position in this field.
To apply, please submit your resume together with answers to the following questions. Please note and respect the stated word limits for each question.
- Why do you want to do impact work? (200 words)
- What draws you to our type of work? (200 words)
- What PFS project would you create and why? (200 words)
Candidates may submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line Intern – Singapore. Applications will be accepted until 1 March 2020 and will be processed thereafter. The interview process will last between 1-2 months and involve a written test, case interviews, a research test, and behavioral interviews.
Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to notify shortlisted candidates.
Who we are
Tri Sector Associates is a non-profit social enterprise whose mission is to maximize the impact of social spending. We do so by helping governments, philanthropies and private funders across the Asia Pacific deploy a model called Pay For Success – a unique combination of data analytics, impact investing, and tri-sector collaboration that re-writes the book on how we enable effective social innovation.
The Pay For Success model rewards outcomes instead of inputs or outputs. Here’s how it works.
- First, private investors invest in a promising non-profit program.
- Next, the long-term outcomes of the program are rigorously measured by a third-party evaluator.
- Finally, if and only if the specified outcomes are achieved, then the government repays private funders their capital.
This delivers benefits to each sector: government only funds what works; non-profits have the chance to test new bottom-up solutions; and private funders deploy their capital in a catalytic fashion to stimulate change.
Our collaborators, Third Sector Capital Partners, Inc, are the leading US firm in launching Pay For Success projects, with over 40 engagements to date that are shifting hundreds of millions of dollars into evidence-driven feedback loops.
We are supported by leading venture philanthropists, the Singtel Future Makers accelerator program, the Philip Yeo Initiative, and the Economic Development Board. By combining the best of global IP and local knowledge, we aim to ignite a profound systems-change that will measurably improve the lives of those in need across the Asia Pacific.