About the Job
WHERE YOU COME IN
You will fully integrate into and directly support the Strategic Partnerships team by identifying, developing, and leading strategic initiatives that enable Alterna to address sector gaps and opportunities, social and environmental needs, and Alterna’s positioning and growth in the region. Specifically, you will have the opportunity to:
- Lead the design, financing and planning of Cultivation programs, workshops that guide social entrepreneurs to achieve traction, growth and disruptive social-environmental impact. Main activities include:
- Conduct market research to complement and deepen sectoral knowledge
- Manage the final design and high-level strategy of the program
- Identify and lead contact with potential partners for financing, mentoring, and sectoral information, among others, accompanying team members in meetings and negotiations
- Support the development and execution of Alterna's growth strategy in the medium term. Main activities include:
- Define different market segments for Alterna, identify and analyze potential partners in each segment and support to define projects and proposals of value adapted to each one
- Conduct market research to identify and deepen knowledge of areas, sectors, and intersections for the growth of Alterna in the future
- Analyze and evaluate new market opportunities and develop entry and growth strategies
- Participate in a variety of other sector activities and events, such as:
- Continuously research and develop market intelligence on opportunities, trends, and best practices in social innovation
- Support in the systematization of a bidding process, grants and other types of proposals
- Participate in FLII CA&C (The Latin American Impact Investing Forum for Central America and the Caribbean), a forum hosted by Alterna in November 2019 that brings together over 600 international and regional leaders in impact investing and social entrepreneurship
- Regular sector events and meetings with partners (when relevant) such as ANDE (Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs), Pronacom (Programa Nacional de Competitividad Guatemala), and GIF (Guatemala Innovation Forum)
Please note that the Fellowship is volunteer-based.
WHO DO WE LOOK FOR?
We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who seek to immerse themselves in problems; those who do not take 'no' for an answer and if you like to have fun while working, we will not be disappointed.
Successful candidates have the following experiences and skills:
- Prior professional experience (ideally 1+ years) in related career, such as Public Policy, Consulting, Market Research, Economic Analysis and more
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study, such as Economics, International Relations, Public Policy, Business Administration, Political Science, and more; Masters a plus
- Spanish professional linguistic competency, with excellent written and verbal communication
- Strong organizational and project management skills, able to manage multiple tasks at once
- Strong interpersonal skills, complemented by humility, empathy, and cultural sensitivity
- A proven balance of autonomy and self-motivation with strong team collaboration skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage complexity, and adapt to challenges with minimal resources
- Knowledge and passion for the social entrepreneurship and impact investment sectors
As Central America’s first platform for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Alterna catalyzes transformative businesses from the ground up. We envision a world in which the opportunity to ignite positive change exists in every context, and have worked with over 1,800 high-impact entrepreneurs to date offering tools and services from 2 complementary approaches:
- Cultivation: Workshops and services to accompany entrepreneurs and SMEs to launch, strengthen, and scale impact business models, providing deep and comprehensive support in the areas of market, finance, and impact.
- Connection: Activating and developing connections to capital, market, and solutions, fostering and strengthening the regional social entrepreneurship ecosystem.