About the Job
Impact Measurement and Management (IMM) is a critical component of impact investing. To support coordinated IMM across the field, the GIIN oversees IRIS+, which enables clear and consistent impact data across the impact investing industry. By expressing metrics through evidence-backed core metrics sets, IRIS+ builds on a proven track record as the most widely recognized source of generally accepted impact metrics that are used by impact investors.
The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is seeking to hire a Summer Associate to support the IRIS+ and Impact Measurement & Management program. To advance IRIS+ as an impact performance data standard, the Summer Associate will be integral to strengthening the ways in which IRIS+ can be used by investors to understand their impact performance. The projects that the Summer Associate works on will be based on the individual’s interests and professional experience.
The Summer Associate will report to the Manager, Impact Measurement & Management (IMM).
- Work with investors to identify adopted and trusted metrics sets, and then align those data fields to IRIS metrics.
- Conduct feasibility study for algorithmically identifying rules for IRIS metrics harmonization with other impact standards, methodologies, and assessment tools
- Identify common metrics across standards (e.g. SASB, GRI, CDP) and propose a methodology for incorporating existing common metrics into the IRIS Catalog of Metrics.
- Work with investors to identify and publish IRIS+ use cases
- Update existing IRIS+ alignments
Seasonal role in a flexible, entrepreneurial culture. This position will be based in New York, NY.
The ideal candidate for the role must have strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Must be able to be based in New York City and work out of the GIIN’s New York City office
- Highly organized, attention to detail, results oriented
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to connect with various stakeholders
- Demonstrated interest in impact investing or impact measurement & management
- Familiarity with IRIS+
- Experience working with data and in writing code a plus
- Must thrive in an entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment, communicate effectively, and identify opportunities for streamlining processes
- Working knowledge of computer software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Current candidate in competitive graduate program a plus
- Aligned in thought and action with GIIN’s values:
Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience.
Email cover letter and resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. State “Summer Associate IMM_ First Name Last Name” in the subject line of your email. Please indicate where you saw the job posting in your cover letter.Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so we strongly encourage early applications. Selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. The GIIN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN)
The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing around the world.
Impact investing is one of the most important social innovations of our time, and interest in it is exploding. The GIIN, now ten years into its history and backed by leading funders such as the Ford Foundation, the UK Department for International Development, Prudential, and Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, has a growing membership network of over 340 members in 48 countries. The GIIN works to mobilize a global network of leading financial institutions and others to dramatically increase the amount of capital being deployed effectively to social and environmental issues around the world. To learn more about the work we do and impact investing, please visit