About the Job
Note there is also a more junior version of this role available here.
As One Acre Fund grows to serve more than one million farmers, flexibly responding to new challenges and gaps that would otherwise slow growth will be crucial. The Program Rotation Manager is a way for outstanding management professionals to contribute to the highest-priority challenges facing our organization. For you, this role offers rapid professional growth by providing exposure to the full scope of One Acre Funds operations, preparing you for a permanent executive leadership role in the organization.
Selected Program Rotation Managers would rotate through a series of high priority leadership postings, followed by a permanent posting or further rotations depending on the candidate’s interests:
- First 12-24 months: Rotate between several ~6-month long management posts
- Afterwards: Permanently fill a high priority role of interest for the candidate
The role has a dual reporting structure:
- During your rotations you will report directly to a project lead
- You’ll also have a constant dotted-line management relationship to the Director of Strategy & Research for support and continuity of professional development
Examples of possible rotations include:
- New Department Standup: Rotation Managers could lead programmatic changes for One Acre Fund, like standing up a new Global Field Operations team or organizing a global approach to a new source of impact like agroforestry.
- Program Expansion: Potential projects include leading new country / region expansion, managing the pilot of a new business model or product offering, like One Acre Fund branded agro-dealers
- Focused Department Leadership: Support an essential department with enhanced strategic leadership during an important period of change, e.g. during a department restructure, expansion or culture reset
The Program Rotation team works with One Acre Fund’s leadership to determine specific rotation projects and the eventual permanent role. This process aims to balance organizational need and your professional goals. You will experience a full spectrum of leadership challenges in a growing social enterprise, while receiving intensive professional development from our senior leaders.
Career Growth and Development
A Program Rotation Manager will receive:
- An assigned mentor from One Acre Funds senior leadership who remains consistent between rotations to provide long-term anchoring and career growth in the organization
- Diverse projects across different geographies and departments for a comprehensive work experience
- Challenging work assignments that address both important One Acre Fund priorities and your personal development goals
We have a culture of personal ownership, constant learning, and investment in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You will help shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for professionals with 5+ years of relevant work experience and a commitment to our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree with demonstrated previous work experience at a management level in challenging environments
- History of quickly producing impactful results through your team(s) at scale – low lag time from project start to delivering impact
- Desire to work in different geographic locations, in a field setting. For at least 12-18 months, multiple relocations around sub-Saharan Africa are expected and most rotations are field based
- Experience managing diverse teams, especially sales, operational, and field teams. Experience coordinating between multiple departments is a plus
- Excellent data analysis skills, able to work with data to develop informed, evidence-based strategies
- Interested and experienced in building collaborative teams, including colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Language: English required, French a plus in Rwanda and Burundi. Swahili-speakers are particularly encouraged to apply.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
You will rotate based on organization priorities
Consistent with experience
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
Yes; must have existing rights to work in in the African continent.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an “@oneacrefund.org” address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com).
One Acre Fund
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly, serving more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa with more than 7,500 full-time staff. We aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2030.