About the Job
Capital Impact Partners seeks a Community Investment Loan Fund Intern to be based in the Arlington, VA office for the Summer of 2020 to strengthen its loan fund. The Community Investment Loan Fund Intern will gain valuable professional experience supporting a range of activities for the fund. Activities for the Intern will include market research, financial and portfolio analysis, and special projects.
Market Research (60%)
Potential research projects include:
- Affordable housing market in Austin and San Antonio, TX
- Peer research on work other CDFIs are doing in disability services lending, energy lending, etc.
- Community development infrastructure in mid-sized Midwestern cities including Lansing, MI, Grand Rapids, MI, and Toledo, OH
- Exact research projects will be determined by Capital Impact’s needs at the time, as well as the intern’s interests and expertise
Financial and Portfolio Analysis (25%)
- Support Capital Impact Partners Loan Officers and Loan Associates in spreading financial statements and completing financial analysis
- Support Capital Impact Partners Loan Officers and Loan Associates in completing annual reviews of loans in Capital Impact’s loan portfolio
Special Projects (15%)
Potential special projects include:
- Assist in administering competitive affordable housing predevelopment grant award
- Assist in reporting on Capital Impact lending initiatives
- Undergraduate or graduate students welcome to apply
- Minimum of 3 years of coursework towards a Bachelor’s degree
- Possess an understanding and passion to learn about community development finance
- Working knowledge of common lending ratios and terminology a plus
- Familiarity with Capital Impact’s core sectors: healthcare, education, food systems, housing and/or core geographies: Washington DC Metro Area; New York City Metro Area; Michigan & Northern Ohio; Austin & San Antonio, Texas; and California preferred
- Strong written and analytical skills
- Highly accountable, detail-oriented, and organized, demonstrating an ability to meet deadlines, achieve goals, and the willingness to play a range of roles
- Collaborative and flexible, with the ability to work jointly with a wide range of internal partners and the willingness to play a range of roles as projects warrant
- Able to work independently and prioritize competing requests in a fast-paced, growing organization
Capital Impact Partners
Capital Impact Partners, headquartered in Arlington, VA, operates nationally, with local offices in Detroit, MI, New York, NY, and Oakland, CA. For over 40 years, Capital Impact Partners has been a not-for-profit mission driven lender that has supported the development of low-income underserved communities nationwide, focusing on five key sectors – healthcare, education, healthy foods, housing and aging. Capital Impact is also supporting the redevelopment of Detroit through multiple partnerships with banks and foundations.
Capital Impact accomplishes this work through two primary lines of business, our Equity & Impact team and our Community Investment Loan Fund. Our Equity & Impact team provides programmatic solutions, technical assistance, and thought leadership in our core sectors and geographies. Our Community Impact Loan Fund has provided more than $2.7 Billion in direct debt investments for catalytic projects in our core sectors and geographies.