About the Job
Through various debt financing vehicles, each with their own specific mandates, Nexus supports the adoption of low-carbon solutions in the sustainable energy, clean water, and improved sanitation sectors across Southeast Asia. We support the scaling-up of early to growth stage enterprises that deliver positive impacts to both the environment and their communities by providing access to affordable, unsecured debt, typically inaccessible to SMEs in emerging markets.
Nexus seeks a dynamic and driven Investment Analyst to support the fund management activities of our innovative funds, with a focus on growing Nexus’ largest fund, the Pioneer Facility (see our funds summary in the following table). The Investment Analyst will have the opportunity to be a key contributor throughout the deal cycle with the following core responsibilities: 1) financial modelling, 2) sourcing and origination, 3) due diligence, 4) support on loan documentation review and negotiations, and 4) support on portfolio monitoring activities. We have a robust pipeline and the Investment Analyst will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of deals that are at varying stages.
The Investment Analyst will report directly to the Head of Investments and will work closely with the multi-disciplinary funds management team on investments as well as with the operations team on post-investment monitoring.
The opportunity offers:
- Wide ranging experience in a flexible and dynamic environment
- Exposure to impactful enterprises, VCs and other early stage and/or impact investors, and development partners in Asia
- Opportunity to deep dive into the workings of an impact fund and help promising early stage enterprises to navigate through start-up financing
The Investment Analyst opportunity is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of relevant work experience in corporate finance, asset management, or international development finance. We are seeking candidates with the following qualities:
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills
- Financial modelling skills and strong command of MS Excel – able to build, stress-test models, and explain key results
- Developed knowledge of reading and interpreting financial statements
- Experience in investment analysis and corporate finance in emerging or frontier markets is preferred
- Ability to take deals through the investment cycle with experience in portfolio management a plus
- Strong interest in impact investing and up-to-date knowledge on available financing mechanisms and current trends in development finance and start-up investing
- Demonstrated experience in project management. Detail-oriented with high standard of performance
- Self-motivated, driven, and able to work effectively with a high degree of autonomy in a lean, start-up environment. Adaptability and perseverance are key!
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills – able to confidently work with a multi-disciplinary team and liaise with investees and co-investors
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written. Knowledge of other languages (e.g. French, Mandarin, other Asian languages like Khmer) a plus
Your cover letter should address how you meet the key qualifications and requirements of this position by providing examples from previous roles.
Nexus for Development
About Nexus for Development
Founded in 2009, Nexus for Development (Nexus) is an international not-for-profit organization registered in Singapore with an operational team in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Our mission is to drive access to finance in developing economies across Asia to increase sustainable energy and water resource development, advance climate positive solutions, and scale local implementers.
Leveraging our experience with carbon finance, we have evolved over the last decade to identify market gaps and develop appropriate services and pilot funds as solutions. The impetus that drives these initiatives is our commitment to providing useful and affordable financial products and services that meet the ecosystem’s needs.
We are a small team of professionals with diverse backgrounds in finance, engineering, credit analysis, international development, marketing, and operations working together to deliver solutions, create value and achieve our mission.
Specifically, our work focuses on the following areas:
- Financing facilities for clean energy, clean water and sanitation solutions
- Technical assistance for carbon certification
- Carbon asset management