About the Job
With over 35 years of experience, NFF is a recognized leader in providing financing and expert advice to mission-driven organizations facing strategic opportunities, changes, or challenges. The NFF Advisory Services team works with nonprofit organizations, philanthropies, and other mission-driven partners to provide consulting services that address issues related to financial stability, adaptability, growth, and strategy for operating in an increasingly outcomes-driven environment.
Advisory Services Associates support the delivery of NFF’s suite of services to social-sector clients and serve as a key member on delivery teams working on complex engagements, initiatives, and internal/external special projects. Like all team members, Associates work in a fast-paced environment and manage a substantial portfolio of work.
As a member of a close-working team of local and national professionals, the Associate plays an integral role in delivering data-driven financial analyses, strategic consulting engagements, and convenings of cohorts and collaborations. Associates will be expected to manage significant portions of client work; as such, they are expected to understand the context of our work in relation to the overall project and client situation. At times, Associates may have responsibility for portions of project or initiative management.
The Associate will work directly with NFF senior-level consultants and strategic decision makers at a wide range of organizations and must embody NFF Values. Associates are expected to communicate in a clear, compelling, and accessible manner.
This position is based in Los Angeles, CA. Travel is expected and could potentially account for up to 40% of the Associate’s time. The Associate will report to the Director, Advisory Services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a member of a team working with clients to identify, frame, and solve for key financial, strategic, and organizational issues
- Synthesize data and integrate findings into clear, accessible materials; write and present reports that outline key findings, options, opportunities, risks, scenarios, and recommendations
- Conduct financial analyses, trend analyses, organizational assessments, and sector research
- Facilitate conversations with nonprofit leaders in a way that demonstrates empathy while also advancing the work to address core strategic and financial issues
- Manage a portfolio of complex engagements, initiatives, and internal/external special projects using organization-wide tools and processes
- Present NFF content in workshops, conferences, clinics, and seminars
- Perform other duties as assigned
Essential Requirements for Education and/or Experience:
- At least 2-3 years of relevant work experience, preferably in the fields of government, nonprofit management, consulting, and/or financial services
- Professional maturity, adaptability, and ability to build relationships with colleagues, clients, funders, board members, and leaders in the field in a way that is consistent with NFF Values of Equity in Action, Generosity of Spirit, Rigor without Attitude, Responsiveness, and Leading by Doing. (For more information on the NFF Values, click here: )
- Demonstrated commitment and interest in the social sector
- Comfort with nonprofit accounting, finance, financial model building, and general issues and trends in the nonprofit sector
- Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skills; ability to organize, present, and synthesize complex information in an accessible manner
- Interest and ability to travel nationally, year-round, up to 40% of the time
- Strong time-management, attention to detail, multi-tasking, and project management skills
- Self-starter with the ability to proactively manage one’s work, set priorities, meet deadlines, and be a strong contributing member of a high-functioning team
- Proficiency in technology applications particularly Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Flexible, curious, creative, enthusiastic and with a sense of humor
Nonprofit Finance Fund
What We Do:
Nonprofit Finance Fund (NFF) works toward a more just and vibrant society through:
Financing that invests in missions. Our customized financing strengthens hardworking nonprofits and social enterprises.
Consulting that empowers leaders. Our experts equip you to make financial decisions that best serve your mission.
Partnering on big problems. Service providers, funders, and investors turn to us for new ways to collaboratively support stronger, fairer communities.
Learning that helps illuminate paths to solving complex social issues. Sharing experiences and expertise – from ideas to anecdotes to cutting-edge data and analysis – makes it easier.
Nonprofit Finance Fund® (NFF®) advances missions and social progress in underserved communities through financing, consulting, partnerships, and knowledge-sharing. A leading Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), NFF currently manages over $329 million. Since 1980, we have provided $871 million in financing and access to additional capital in support of over $2.9 billion in projects for thousands of organizations nationwide.