About the Job
You identify promising companies to recommend for investment and supervise due diligence and deal structure for such investments, primarily in Sub Saharan/East Africa. You will be part of and supported by the Aqua-Spark team and report to the Investment Director in Utrecht, the Netherlands. You will be based in Utrecht, the Netherlands initially, traveling to Africa on a regular basis (approximately every 6-8 weeks), where you will be supported by our partner Msingi, based in Nairobi.
- drive the overall process of making high quality investments by turning high quality leads in Africa into final investment agreements that achieve optimum results for investors and portfolio companies in line with the investment strategy and impact objectives;
- work together with the deal team to identify which companies are most promising;
- make thorough analyses of various investment cases with responsibility for on- and off-site due diligence on potential portfolio investments, including in-depth due diligence on the team, company financials and returns, impact factors, deal structure, investment amount, risk assessment, product and market description, negotiate term sheets, etc.;
- monitor, support and manage portfolio companies’ performance through KPIs for the portfolio companies, quarterly reports, etc.;
- writing reports and presenting to relevant stakeholders including Managing Partners and Investment Committee on investment opportunities and portfolio company progress;
- working with the Aqua-Spark and Msingi teams, government and industry partners on formulating, advocating policies that support the reform and sustainable growth of the African aquaculture sector;
- pro-actively build sustainable relationships with internal and external stakeholders and professionally represent Aqua-Spark Africa at conferences and events in order to connect with and establish relationships;
- stay up-to-date on information that is relevant to the aquaculture industry in East Africa and develop the skillsets and knowledge to specialize in aquaculture and its (financial) markets;
The ideal candidate has a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Business/Finance or a similar discipline and 5 or more years of professional working experience in, for example, impact investing, PE/VC, corporate finance or business development, preferably in Africa. Furthermore, you have:
- At least 3 years of working experience in actively participating in investment negotiation, deal structure and due diligence (experience working in Africa preferred);
- Experience in working with/investing in SMEs, preferably with a sustainability, environmental and/or social focus within Sub Saharan/East Africa;
- Broad interest in and understanding of world business and financial affairs and awareness of trends in the relevant (financial) markets;
- Excellent financial and analytical skills using methods to obtain, assess, interpret and present complicated financial information, including experience with financial modeling;
- Excellent negotiation skills and works independently to successfully lead and complete an investment process;
- Preferably understanding of the global food production and the agri-/aquaculture industry and willingness to follow trends and developments in aquaculture;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a high degree of professionalism in English;
- Experience with business planning and processing legal documentation/information
- Must be proficient in Apple, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) with familiarity with databases and excellent IT/computer skills in general.
Aqua-Spark is a global investment fund based in Utrecht that makes investments in the value chain of sustainable aquaculture. Investments are in businesses that generate financial returns while creating positive social and environmental impact. The fund is building an ecosystem of small- to medium- sized enterprises across the global aquaculture value chain to make aquaculture more sustainable, healthier and more accessible for all. To accomplish this goal in Africa, Aqua-Spark is partnering with Msingi East Africa, an East African industry development institution established by the Gatsby Foundation and the UK's Department for International Development (DFID). Msingi seeks to deliver transformative sector development in East Africa by catalyzing the growth and increased competitiveness of new and existing high-potential industries.