About the Job
=== Summary of the Job Description below =
As Spark pivots from a traditional implementation NGO to a training and service provider for governments and civil societies, our growth strategy demands tightening our operational efficiency model, internal systems and deliberately building the team. We are seeking an Operations Director to lead organizational excellence and shape our operational model to deliver our impact in a lean way.
You will develop financial growth models and projections, strengthen internal HR systems and develop our finance and people teams to drive operational efficiency as Spark scales across Rwanda and beyond.
The Operations Director will work closely with the Executive team and interact with the Board of Directors to drive high level operational strategy relating to financial and team development. This person in this role will directly manage a Finance Director, HR Manager and Organizational Excellence Manager with opportunity to build out their teams further.
We are looking for candidates with a strong strategic finance mind, passion for culture and people development, who are excited about new age institution building and are excellent at management.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
Spearhead organizational excellence:
- Lead a process that ensures we set strong organizational goals, budgets and KPIs across the organization, continually drive efficiency and quality, and develop work plans that enable us deliver to our target.
- Ensure strong processes, systems and procedures are developed and operationalized across Spark, ensuring compliance across countries of operations and sources of funding. This will include responsibilities such as internal audits, compliance checks, procurement policies and oversight, etc.
- Drive change management across Spark and its team as our models changes and we grow and ensure that Spark’s culture and unique approach is kept in mind, supported and exacerbated.
- Manage and develop functional teams within and across Finance, Human Resources (HR), and Operations to support Spark’s program teams, including working closely with the Organizational Excellence Manager who builds management capacity and strengthens internal communication.
Drive Strategic Finance:
- Responsible for developing growth and financial models that drive operational efficiency and impact: lead on financial modeling for growth, and analysis on efficiency such as modeling out cost per community for different scenarios. Be a thought partner to program leads during expansion planning.
- Directly manage Finance Director who leads finance team to deliver on budgets, reports, policies and internal financial regulations and to ensure priority goals, systems, reports, audits and compliance processes remain current.
- Lead the development of budgets for new business opportunities and revenue streams, such as government and nonprofit contract based work.
- Manage the board finance committee (quarterly calls, develop decks and set agenda to review strategic financial questions).
Lead the People Function:
- Overall owner on the senior leadership team for all aspects of our people systems. This includes the employee life cycle and experience and ensuring Spark’s culture is embedded and reinforced at every step.
- Responsible for building a strong integrated people function, including HR and talent development. Supervise and streamline key talent processes incl. recruitment, onboarding, talent development and performance management.
- Ensure we’re building an effective organization structure towards growth. Directly support senior level recruitment.
Restricted Grant Management and Reporting
- Liaise with the fundraising team, both on understanding key donor and reporting requirements, and coordinating the finance team link when preparing proposals.
- Project manage Spark’s delivery of larger, restricted and complex grants: This includes fully understanding donor requirements and deliverables, operationalizing these into our systems, procedures, schedules and agreements with partners. Ensure capacity building internally and in our partners’ teams.
Financial Modelling, Finance Strategy, Organization Excellence, Operations Management
Spark MicroGrants believes in a world where everyone lives with dignity and determines their own positive future. Decades of prescriptive aid have sidelined the poor from the very programs meant to uplift them. For nearly a decade, Spark MicroGrants has been pioneering a new approach to international aid. We believe in local solutions and catalyzing rural villages facing poverty into action. After years of refining a community organizing and seed funding model for rural village action we are garnering demand from emerging nations and leading civil society organizations to train and support them to adapt and deploy the approach at scale.
At the heart of Spark’s model, the Facilitated Collective Action Process (FCAP), are ‘town-hall’ style weekly meetings, in which women and men, young and old, plan together for their community’s future. Each village democratically elects a leadership committee, establishes a village savings account, and launches a project of their choice. Members receive weekly trainings on financial management and transparency, leadership, village planning, and advocacy. Each village then receives US$8,000 in seed funds to turn project ideas into reality and receives an additional two years of management support.