About the Job
The Summer Associate program is designed for promising young professionals looking to work in the world’s dynamic frontier markets and have a desire to pursue a career in Africa’s burgeoning impact investing and venture capital industry. The Summer Associate will get hands-on experience in both deal sourcing and portfolio management by working very closely with seasoned investors.
The successful candidate will support the Nairobi team in the following areas:
- New investments: You will evaluate new investment opportunities, leading due diligence and presenting investment recommendations to AHL’s investment committee. This will include performing in-depth market research, evaluating financial projections, conducting sensitivity analyses, reviewing valuations, and preparing investment memoranda.
- Portfolio management: You will take a pro-active approach in understanding the different challenges and strategic opportunities for our portfolio companies and use our team and network of partners to solve these challenges and unlock opportunities.
- Fund management and strategy: You will participate in AHL’s five-year strategic planning process, including building a financial model, researching multiple asset classes, and developing a business plan.
Candidates must be graduate students in the field of finance, business or economics (MBA, MSc, MPP, MA or equivalent).
- Prior work experience in investment banking, private equity, financial advisory, management consulting, or entrepreneurship or related to our investment sectors preferred.
- You thrive in an independent working environment, using your best judgment, high ethical standards, strong communication skills, passion and adeptness with start-ups/ SMEs to execute on AHL’s mission.
- You are an entrepreneur advocate. You bring a genuine curiosity about their business objectives and goals — and use this deeper understanding to align our efforts with their business’ needs.
- Strong communication and writing skills as well as the ability to work in a multicultural environment.
Interested applicants are encouraged to send a cover letter and CV to Evi Muco – . The deadline for applications is 15th February 2020.
AHL Venture Partners
Operational since 2008, AHL Venture Partners () is one of East Africa’s premier impact investment firms, investing in early and growth stage companies capable of delivering impact at scale alongside healthy financial returns. AHL’s primary investment themes are financial inclusion, food & agribusiness and energy access. AHL invests in equity, debt (senior and mezz), fixed income, and fund investments. To date, AHL has committed over $60mn across a portfolio of 35 companies and funds.