About the Job
Convergence is headquartered in Toronto and is currently seeking a Managing Director or Associate Director, Asia (MD/AD). The job level and title will be dependent on the qualifications and experience of the successful applicant. The successful applicant will reside in a major business center in the region.
This role will report to the CEO and will, if hired at the MD level, be a member of the management team. The individual will work to ensure that the organization remains at the forefront of the blended finance market by building strategic partnerships and helping to shape the long-term vision of Convergence, with a specific focus and responsibility for translating this vision into an action plan for Asia. We anticipate that in Asia, conservation and natural capital may become a particularly prominent theme for blended finance.
The MD/AD will lead Convergence’s activities in Asia, overseeing (i) engagement with public and private practitioners of blended finance to support their deal activity, (ii) creation of market-responsive content, and (iii) implementation design funding windows.
The MD/AD will work closely with a specialized team based in Toronto, Nairobi and the USA.
The responsibilities below reflect a hire at the MD level and would be adjusted for an AD hire. Together with the CEO and the Managing Directors for Europe, Africa, and the Americas the MD, Asia will:
- Place Convergence at the center of the blended finance field by creating a high-energy, active network of members who turn to us frequently for deal flow, data, and insights.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with world-class investors and deal sponsors across the public, private, and philanthropic sectors. Be responsible for all relationships in the region, delegating specific relationships to others on the team as appropriate.
- Work with these actors to select and onboard best-in-class blended finance investment opportunities to Convergence’s matchmaking platform.
- Connect capital providers and deal sponsors for knowledge exchange and to discuss transactions seeking capital.
- Build strategic relationships with complementary initiatives, channel partners, and other global organizations.
- Represent Convergence in external events, media appearances, blogs, etc.
- With the Associate Director, Client Services, ensure team-wide compliance on regulatory issues.
- Work to secure funding for the Design Funding facility.
- Build pipeline of applicants for upcoming Design Funding programs in Asia.
- Participate in the selection of grantee applicants for the grant awards.
- Lead regular decision sessions with the Funding Committee.
- Review and clear due diligence for prospective grantees.
- Act as a thought partner to support grantees with instrument design.
- Connect grantees to sources of capital, primarily via the Convergence membership network.
- Ensure the content curation and development strategy is responsive to the needs of active blended finance investors, in particular to the public, philanthropic, and private members of Convergence’s network.
- Translate insights gained from interacting with Convergence’s membership network into opportunities for new content.
- Guide the team responsible for the Convergence historical deal database, a continuously growing database of over 450 closed blended finance deals, to ensure that deals are captured in a way that is relevant to the Convergence membership in its form and presentation.
- Develop and lead a targeted blended finance training program for institutions in Asia, including identifying organizations that need training, negotiating the relevant contracts, and leading the actual trainings.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the MD is expected to help build strategic partnerships that will lead to both financial and in-kind resource mobilization to ensure Convergence’s long-term viability.
We are looking for experienced candidates with 10+ years of experience (8+ for AD level) in some combination of finance, investing, grant-making, project management, and content generation. The ideal candidate will have:
- Extensive experience structuring or managing blended finance/innovative finance transactions in emerging markets.
- Deep understanding of gaps with respect to blended/innovative finance transactions, and demonstrated experience creating knowledge products / research briefings/ training programs.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and relationship-building skills.
- A network of contacts in the private, public, and philanthropic spheres that can be leveraged to build strategic partnerships, with a particular strength in Asia.
- Experience/knowledge of climate finance/natural capital preferred.
Candidates should be eligible to work in the applicable major business center in Asia. This position would require traveling within Asia, and from time to time outside of Asia.
Interested and qualified applicants should send a single PDF document containing a cover letter and CV to , with Managing Director/Associate Director, Asia in the subject line. We are looking to hire quickly and so will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis; applicants are therefore encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Convergence is the global network for blended finance. We generate blended finance data, intelligence, and deal flow to increase private sector investment in developing countries. Blended finance is the use of catalytic public or philanthropic capital to increase private sector investment in places that need it most. Convergence’s global membership includes public, private, and philanthropic investors as well as sponsors of transactions and funds. Members include institutions such as MacArthur Foundation, FinDev Canada, the Nature Conservancy, and Credit Suisse. Convergence offers its members a curated, online platform to connect with each other on blended finance transactions in progress, as well as exclusive access to original market intelligence and knowledge products such as case studies, reports, training, and webinars. To accelerate advances in the field, Convergence also provides grants through its Design Funding program, for the design of blended finance vehicles that could attract private capital at scale to global development.