About the Job
About Flourish Ventures:
Flourish is a venture firm that invests in entrepreneurs whose innovations help people achieve financial health and prosperity. We believe that a well-functioning and fair financial system helps people seize opportunities, better manage risks, and improve their lives. We support entrepreneurs who share this vision and have bold ideas that seek to change the system for the better.
As an evergreen venture fund backed by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, we invest at the early stage and deploy patient capital with a long-term perspective. We are thesis-driven and seek ventures across a variety of frontier themes such as challenger banks, personal finance, Insurtech, Regtech, and other technologies that empower people. In addition to our venture investments, we also partner with policymakers, thought leaders, and innovative regulators.
We spun out of Omidyar Network in Q1 2019 with a new $300 million commitment to accelerate our work with more autonomy. Our existing portfolio of $200 million in assets under management has supported the work of pioneering companies that have created entirely new sectors in financial services and elevated the financial standing of millions of individuals, families, and small businesses globally. Our global portfolio of more than 40 fintech companies and 10 ecosystem investments includes Ruma (acquired by GoJek), Chime (unicorn neo bank), Neon, Zest Money, and other fintech pioneers.
Our Africa portfolio includes segment leaders such as Pagatech, Zoona, FlutterWave, Lendable, Lidya, and exciting new companies like Pula and Fairmoney. We also back efforts to build thriving startup communities such as the Dar Es Salaam Seedspace.
Our team of dedicated, global specialists is culturally and geographically diverse. We are a small, flat team that combines a high degree of autonomy with a culture of close collaboration. We strive to be close to the entrepreneurs we support and to understand the people they serve.
We are looking for an energetic self-starter to join our investment team focused on Africa. As part of a small team, you will support our existing portfolio and drive new investments across the continent. A passion for impact at scale, a deep understanding of the African context, strong analytical skills, and comfort with a high degree of autonomy in a collaborative, global organization are essential for success in this role.
As a Principal, you will liaison with leadership teams across our portfolio and offer strategic support at the board level in conjunction with a senior Flourish board representative. You will source investment opportunities independently through your networks and work with a senior team member to conduct diligence and close deals with minimal support. You will play a leading role in developing our investment thesis, expand our efforts to support broader entrepreneurial ecosystems, and amplify our brand. We will expect you to grow into leading deals independently and taking select board positions within 18-24 months.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Source and screen new investment opportunities
- Conduct due diligence on prospective investments: assess business plans, construct financial forecasts, prepare investment memoranda and deal closing documents
- Own critical relationships with portfolio companies and support management teams across a broad spectrum of needs
- Amplify our brand, presence, and influence on the continent by deepening our networks and curating high impact events/workshops, etc.
- Advance our efforts to strengthen the broader fintech ecosystem through creative engagements with entrepreneurs, thought leaders, and policymakers.
- Play a leading role in developing vision and strategy for Africa while contributing meaningfully to global strategy
- Collaborate internally to advance Flourish's strategy and mission, and support on a variety of events and projects, as needed.
Education, Experience, and Skills requirements:
- At least seven years of business experience conducting company evaluation and financial analysis, ideally at a venture fund, fintech/financial services firm, investment bank, management consultancy
- Advanced degree preferred
- Financial services domain knowledge (either direct work experience in the sector or consulting/banking experience) preferred
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail and comfort with developing and analyzing complex financial models
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work in a fluid, ambitious startup environment with a high degree of autonomy, self-motivation, and discipline
- Comfort with working in a highly collaborative, global team
At Flourish Ventures, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our core values. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, building the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Flourish Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Flourish is an evergreen fund investing in entrepreneurs whose innovations help people achieve financial health and prosperity. Established in 2019, Flourish is funded by Pam and Pierre Omidyar. Pierre Omidyar is the founder of eBay. Flourish makes impact-oriented investments in challenger banks, personal finance, insurtech, regtech, and other technologies that empower people and foster a fair, more inclusive economy.
Our existing portfolio of $200 million in assets under management has supported the work of pioneering companies that have created entirely new sectors in financial services and elevated the financial standing of millions of individuals, families, and small businesses globally. With a new $300 million commitment from our funders, our global team has the opportunity to expand our portfolio and mission. Our portfolio includes companies working across several geographies and sub-sectors. Recent US activity includes investments in companies such as Chime, Steady, Propel, Cushion, and Hummingbird, and policy / research grants for ecosystem development such as Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI) and FinRegLab, a first of its kind industry-led regulatory sandbox.
By joining Flourish, you will become part of a culturally and geographically diverse team, who strives to be close to the entrepreneurs we support and to understand the people they serve. You will forge partnerships with entrepreneurs, thought leaders, and innovators in policy and regulation to shape a more inclusive global economy.