About the Job
Team and role overview
CDC Project Finance Team focus on sectors that support significant employment creation such as energy, transport, ports, mid-stream gas and water. There are 5 job levels in the team – Associate, Executive, Manager, Director & Team Head
Liaising regularly with the head of Project Finance the investment Director takes responsibility for the following functions.
- To play an important leadership role in the development of CDC’s Project Finance team with the other senior team members and the Head of Project Finance for the effective origination, structuring, execution and monitoring of project finance debt investment opportunities that meet CDC’s commercial and development impact criteria.
- The role is based in CDC’s London office with some travel activity.
- Originate Project Finance investment opportunities utilising your own and CDC’s relationships with commercial banks, DFIs and clients directly, and in co-operation with CDC’s Infrastructure Team and other CDC teams.
- Contribute to market-mapping exercises, where relevant, in close co-operation with the Infrastructure Team as well as develop targeted origination strategies to focus our investment into sectors and geographies where we have natural advantage and where our capital is needed most.
- Provide visibility to CDC’s Project Finance business by participating in conferences, etc.
- Prepare and present high-quality investment proposals through CDC’s investment process.
Loan Structuring and Execution & Deal Execution & Portfolio Monitoring
- Assist to deliver a high quality, diversified portfolio of Project Finance transactions.
- Ensure the maintenance of a high-quality portfolio post-disbursement including financials, development impact and environmental, social and business integrity, leveraging internal specialists as needed.
- Apply appropriate portfolio monitoring processes that include managing the process with more junior team members on assigned deals for the preparation of periodic monitoring reports for CDC’s investment committee, checking for early warning signals, reviewing of waiver requests and amendments, and thereby present recommendations for CDC’s investment committee or as required to comply with relevant regulations.
Deal Team Management
- Lead small deal teams within the structure of the project finance team to execute on the above.
- Guide, mentor and develop more junior members of the Debt Team, through sharing of experience and implementation of best practice in financial analysis, cash flow modelling, term sheet preparation and written presentation.
- Inclusively manage the engagement of support teams (Environmental, Social, Business Integrity and Development Impact), ensuring all internal stakeholders can achieve their objectives
- Lead external lenders advisors through due diligence work streams, such as legal, model audit, technical, environmental & social and insurance.
- Leading responsibility for the completing of discrete due diligence tasks such as company, industry and economic analysis.
- Responsible for leading and co-ordinating the analysis, including: sector / market analysis; company / borrower analysis (including credit analysis financials and financial modelling); macro-economic analysis. Including all aspects of credit assessment, identify transactions risks and how these can be mitigated, and will take responsibility for deal completion related work including managing conditions precedents to ensure efficient and timely financial close.
- Reviewing and commenting on legal documentation together with the internal legal team.
- Leading on Structuring and negotiation of terms with Borrowers and co-lenders appropriate to commercially acceptable standards, ensuring legal documentation that is best of class.
- Lead the preparation and presentation of screening and credit papers for new deals, as well as the preparation and presenting monitoring papers for existing deals.
- Leading the deal team and managing the interface with support teams.
- Liaising regularly with the head of Project Finance
Contribute to Strategic and Other Internal Initiatives
- Work with the other senior project finance team and head of project finance to collaboratively steer the business growth development and monitoring in accordance with strategic objectives.
- Develop/maintain relationships with CDC’s Direct Equity and Sector teams and the Intermediated Equity team, as well as other support teams.
- Develop/maintain knowledge of markets, geographies and sectors relevant to CDC’s Corporate Debt business.
- Lead/contribute to other ad hoc internal initiatives, strategic or otherwise.
Line management responsibility
- Take on line management responsibility with direct reports in the large project finance team.
Background, skills, aptitude
A proven background and track record, at Director level equivalent, in international Project Finance Lending investments in the Africa and/or South Asia region, and previous experience in some of our core sectors of energy, water, ports, transport, preferably from:
- Investment bank; or
- a Development Financial Institution (“DFI”) or Multilateral Development Institution.
- Successful candidates must have buy side project finance experience, as a deal lead.
Successful candidates will also have:
- Relevant transactional experience in Africa/South Asia, with a regional contact network:
- Proven track record of originating, structuring and closing complex Project Finance transactions in difficult environments;
- Ability to work on multiple opportunities across sectors while working to deadlines and managing time effectively;
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to develop a network of relevant external contacts, as well as internally across different teams;
- As a member of a small team, a proactive “hands-on” approach is important, as well as the ability to mentor junior team members;
- Management experience of leading deal teams, a hands-on transactor that will also nurture the development of others;
- Prior experience of line management incl. conducting of performance appraisals feeding into annual promotion process an advantage
- MBA or Master’s degree in a relevant field), is advantageous but not a prerequisite;
- We will be considering the following as important:
- Excellent credit, financial and structuring skills;
- Strong understanding of diligence processes, financial terms, legal terms;
- Project Finance product knowledge including an understanding of market practice and credit risk structuring experience in emerging market economies;
- Good business communication skills, written, verbal and presentation;
- Strong negotiator, networker and relationship builder;
- Track record of internal collaboration across the deal team and support teams to achieve multiple goals.
Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity
We look for a colleague who are:
- Impact-led and commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of gender, age, educational background, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation and religion.
MBA or Master’s degree in a relevant field, is advantageous but not a prerequisite;
CDC Group plc
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2019.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 400 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website