About the Job
Role and Responsibilities
Based in our Boston headquarters, this position will work closely with the firm’s Controller and Vice President of Finance to continue to build the finance function for this fast-growing team. We are looking for candidates who thrive in high-performing environments and are eager to to apply their accounting and finance expertise in a mission-based setting. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Recording and reconciling all accounting data
- Accounts Receivable – prepare and send all Social Finance invoices, on a monthly and ad hoc basis; reconcile accounts receivable monthly and follow-up on past due items
- Accounts Payable – manage all aspects of A/P, including capturing all invoices to SFI, implementing authorization protocols and issuing checks twice monthly and on an as-needed basis
- Month end close – assist in completing month end close procedures including:
- Recording all cash transactions and reconciling bank accounts
- Prepare month end reconciliation schedules for balance sheet accounts
- Prepare standard journal entries
- Assist in preparing month end financial reports and analyses
Recording and reconciling all payroll data
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll
- Review and process employee expense reimbursements through Expensify
- Book all payroll in Sage/Intacct accounting software
- Reconcile all payroll accounts monthly, this includes accrued payroll, accrued payroll taxes, accrued vacation and accrued benefits accounts
- Submit bi-weekly 403b contributions and assists with annual census and data for the 5500 filing
Reports and Dashboards
- Write and maintain all reports needed, use clear naming conventions for all reports and report groups
- Manage all dashboards, checking the Leadership, Director and Accountant dashboard at least monthly to maintain accuracy throughout
Administrative and Other
- Work with Controller to assure proper implementation of the firm’s active cash management policy, maintain and work to assure compliance with all authorization matrices for all Social Finance entities
- Work with Controller and Assistant Controller to document all accounting processes and procedures with demonstration of GAAP compliance for all
- Work with Controller and Assistant Controller to achieve all finance department goals, including the annual budget and audits, 990 and other tax filings
- Assist Controller and Assistant Controller in various accounting research projects
- Assist with implementing and maintaining internal controls and formalized processes
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
Social Finance is seeking a dynamic individual with strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills to join its growing finance team. Qualifications and requirements include:
- College degree or other post-secondary certification
- At least two to three years of related accounting work experience
- Non-profit accounting experience (either via employment or via supporting nonprofit clients while at a public accounting firm)
- Understanding of U.S. GAAP and internal controls
- Proficient with MS Word and Excel. Experience with Sage Intacct accounting software a plus
- Solid analytical and technical skills, as well as oral and written communication skills
- Ability to operate in an unstructured but demanding environment, and demonstrable track record of high performance; high level of independence and motivation
- Ability to work within deadlines and to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion
Send cover letter and resume to (Subject line: Accounting Associate) Review of applications will begin immediately. No phone calls please.
Social Finance, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, creed, disability, marital status, citizenship, ancestry, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, military status, status as a protected veteran, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
Social Finance Inc.
About Social Finance
Social Finance is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to mobilizing capital to drive social progress. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to thrive and that we can catalyze that opportunity through building innovative financing solutions and driving uncommon cross-sector partnerships. We do our work across: Education, Children and Families, Workforce, Criminal Justice, Sustainability, Health, and Homelessness. In all we do, we are centered on our core values – People, Performance, Integrity, and Collaboration.
In our Social Investment practice, we develop and implement a suite of innovative financing mechanisms, known as Pay for Success, to connect performance to payment. We started with the Social Impact Bond, a unique public-private partnership in which impact investors provide upfront capital to scale effective nonprofits and governments repay investors only if outcomes are achieved. Today our Social Investments portfolio also includes the Career Impact Bond and the Outcomes Rate Card.
Each Pay for Success strategy incorporates cross-sector partnerships, clearly defined outcomes, data-driven decision-making, strong governance and accountability, and private investment capital where appropriate. To date, we have mobilized more than $110M across 12 Pay for Success projects. In addition to scaling our current strategies, our Social Investments team is constantly innovating to develop new tools to improve outcomes and achieve systems-level change.
In our Advisory practice, we deploy the principles of Pay for Success to help our clients across the sectors achieve greater impact. We identify best-in-class interventions, execute economic analyses, perform rigorous due diligence, quantify impact, and build service provider capacity. In every project we work with clients to develop creative and customized solutions – be it one of our Pay for Success tools or not – that are tailored to the particular needs of each community.