About the Job
As the Director of Blended Finance and Business Innovations, you will be an integral part of the Future of Fish team – with responsibilities that span representing Future of Fish at a global level, development of the blended finance platform, cultivating and maintaining key partnerships/relationships with investors, contributing to the development of organizational strategies and tactics, helping to achieve business development and fundraising goals, and working with the Future of Fish team to manage and execute our organization’s Fishery Development Model (FDM).
The ideal candidate would have experience in international development implementation, strong business acumen, and an in-depth knowledge of deal structuring, capital investment and social finance. Domestic and international travel expected up to 25%.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As the Director, Blended Finance and Business Innovations, you will be responsible for:
Capital Coordination and Blended Finance (35%)
- Work closely with the Executive Director on the development of models for the Blended Finance platform and lead implementation for how these models are adapted and executed in various geographies.
- Working with private and impact investment firms to understand risk tolerances, ROI, impact requirements and other factors that need to be understood to guide fisheries development and the structure of investment deals
- Leading on working with the FoF team, consultants, and external partners to develop and iteratively refine robust and actionable business cases and deal structures for private investment in active FDM fisheries.
- Pitch to impact investors and actively hold relationships with investors and key funders
Business Innovations (25%)
- Leadership in business model development and active advisory role for implementation team on adaptation and development of business models to be applied in the various programs and geographies.
- Working with partners (e.g. supply chain businesses, government representatives, development banks, on the ground NGOs, etc.) in regions to socialize, manage expectations, align, and secure buy-in for business case strategies, deal structures, and joint execution plans.
Business Development (15%)
- Supporting and participating in organizational level business development opportunities such as helping to shape business development strategies, seeking out new business or funding opportunities, representing Future of Fish in funder/client conversations, proposal writing, report writing and project and budget scoping.
- Representing Future of Fish on the global stage – this includes helping to develop strategy around business development, attending workshops/conferences, seeking out and cultivating key relationships, and helping to promote and grow Future of Fish in accordance with our organizational mission and strategies.
- Work closely with the Director, Business Development and Executive Director to identify projects ready to seek funding to pilot
Leadership + Project Management (25%)
- Advise and collaborate with colleagues in the fields of data modernization and traceability*, business innovations, blended finance*, capital coordination and system intermediation*.
- Leadership on projects, either in direct execution of special projects or supporting colleagues in creation and execution of project plans that meet funder expectations including drafting and/or editing of final reports for funders.
- Utilize organizational project management tools and establish check in processes to manage, track, communicate, and move project work forward
- Work with the Director of Operations and collaborate on tracking progress towards deliverables/milestones, ensuring staff have clear roles/responsibilities, staffing and budget needs, managing project risks, troubleshooting project stuck points, and workload management.
- As a small organization promoting innovation and creative thinking to solve system challenges, day to day activities and responsibilities vary. This position requires someone who is flexible and adaptable and can balance competing priorities.
- General administration, project management and other duties as required.
- Alignment with Future of Fish’s mission and values
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
- Ability to travel internationally, to urban and rural communities in developed and developing countries
- University Degree (preferably Masters) and 10+ years of professional experience
- 5+ years (combined) experience in investments, deal structuring, business development, partnership cultivation and capital coordination.
- Implementation experience working in international development (particularly with a focus on food security, opportunity and livelihood), fisheries, the seafood industry, or other related field. Experience working with supply chains a plus.
- Strong computer literacy and ability to use web based software and collaboration tools including Google Suite, MS Excel, Asana and MS PowerPoint user
- Previous experience in leadership, advisory position, coaching and mentorship
- Excellent project management, interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- Ability to synthesize information from a variety or sources into succinct, clear, and focused written summaries.
- High level of professionalism, collaborative spirit, and maintains a positive attitude
- Able to work and excel on a diversity of tasks. (e.g., report/document development, developing work plans, coordinating logistics, partnership cultivation/management, delivering presentations, etc)
- Is a systems thinker
- Able to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment, managing competing priorities and the ability to meet deadlines
- Strong record of working closely with clients and partners and understanding their needs
- Ability to take complexity and break it down into manageable tasks
- Ability to design processes and systems to accomplish project work
To apply please provide:
A cover letter that should clearly explain how your skills, experience, and interests fit this position
CV or resume
The position will remain open until the ideal candidate has been found. Please visit www.futureoffish.org/about for current opportunities with Future of Fish.
Future of Fish
Future of Fish is a systems-change non-profit that provides strategy, design, and research services to NGOs, foundations, investors, businesses, and government officials working to build a world where fisheries and people thrive together. We seek to catalyze innovation, investment, and collaboration to end overfishing while improving economic opportunity and social equity for resource-dependent communities.
We are a team of 12+ staff with a diverse set of expertise ranging from international development, investment finance, seafood markets, fisheries social science, technology, and marine science. Our combined expertise allows us to take a holistic systems approach to complex problem-solving. We know that no one business or individual can shift the system alone and so at Future of Fish we focus on empowering, coordinating, and building the collective impact of stakeholders to drive the end to overfishing.