About the Job
Supporting Management and Investment teams, the Senior ESG Officer will have the following responsibilities:
- Overseeing ESG Management System implementation and that the ESG Manual and Policy are reviewed on a three-yearly basis in line with emerging trends.
- Ensuring adequate resources are available and committed to implementing the ESG Management System, and in so doing ensuring that adequate resources are available to satisfy Africa50’s ongoing ESG management responsibilities.
- Ensuring that staff receive an adequate level of training relating to the Africa50 ESG management system and its implementation (as applicable to their involvement in such activities).
- Overseeing the on-going monitoring of ESG management responsibilities by appointed ESG officers and lead and supporting investment professionals who have been assigned ESG duties.
- Overseeing and supporting site visits to portfolio companies including on-site audits, monitoring and evaluation activities, provision of support and training, assessing progress and providing support on implementation of prescribed corrective actions, and reviewing post site-visit reports.
- Undertaking assessments of project lead sponsors’ ESG capability (where the lead sponsor is not Africa50) and advising the Africa50 investment teams as appropriate on areas of sponsor weakness that require corrective action in order to ensure alignment with the ESG Management System.
- Supporting the Africa50 investment teams in their engagement with sponsors, portfolio companies, and other relevant project stakeholders, to encourage and guide all relevant project stakeholders towards achievement of ESG standards that align with Africa50’s ESG standards.
- Overseeing the appointment and management of third party consultants for complex ESG due diligence and / or monitoring (i.e. for Category A and selected Category B investment opportunities).
- Assisting with the scoping of complex ESG due diligence and/or monitoring exercises (i.e. for Category A and selected Category B investment opportunities).
- Reviewing and signing-off on ESG DDs for Category A (High) and B (Medium) investment opportunities.
- Contributing to the evaluation of investment proposals, including via investment committee papers and meetings.
- Supporting in negotiations with underlying investments to ensure that ESG rights are embedded in legal agreements, including ESG action plans (where appropriate).
- Ensuring effective monitoring of portfolio company compliance with the internal ESG requirements and policies, including the implementation of agreed action plans or management plans.
- Responding to significant ESG incidents arising in portfolio companies and ensuring that Africa50 Executive Management and relevant investors are informed of such significant incidents, as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Overseeing disclosure of key ESG information to relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinating the Advisory Board ESG Committee (or similar forums) including the preparation of an annual calendar, meeting minutes, meeting packs, and information sharing.
- Co-ordinating engagement with external stakeholders where required including implementing set stakeholder engagement plans, preparing press releases and information packs, thought leadership pieces, attending speaking engagements, and developing relationships with investors, NGO and civil society organisations, development finance institutions, and industry bodies.
- Driving internal ESG skills development and capacity building of deal executives, investment professionals and lead sponsors through internal and external training.
- Overseeing site visits to portfolio companies (particularly challenging sites) including on-site audits, monitoring and evaluation, provision of support and training, preparing corrective actions, and post site-visit reporting.
- Collation and compilation of an Annual ESG Report.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline;
- A minimum of 12 years’ experience in Environment, Sustainability and Governance fields in Africa and/or other Emerging Markets;
- Experience within a relevant finance institution or public/private organisation in the financial services industry (e.g., PE, DFI, multilateral, sovereign wealth fund), of which at least ten (7) years will be at a senior management level;
- Strong connection to Africa and intent to pursue an Africa focused career;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills in English and French.
Africa50 is a landmark investment vehicle, focused exclusively on Africa's infrastructure investment opportunities. It is an independent, profit driven, commercially managed entity. It provides a means for private sector investors to bring fresh capital to infrastructure development while securing a return. The result should be a significant boost to efforts to ensure sustained economic growth on the African continent. Africa50 is focusing on large scale, transformative, commercially and developmentally sustainable infrastructure projects. Africa50 targets investments in high-impact national and regional projects in the energy, transport, Information Communication Technology and water sectors.