About the Job
The GIIN has recently established a new partnership with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to support the development of impact investing for and in Southeast Asia, with the ultimate goal of mobilizing private capital to finance businesses and innovative solutions that advance social and economic development in the region, particularly in emerging markets. We aim to build on growing industry interest and momentum to support the continued growth in impact investing activity in the region by both regional and international investors. This will require drawing attention to the nature of emerging needs and opportunities in SE Asia to current impact investors and building receptivity for impact investing amongst new groups of investors, particularly domestic asset owners.
The GIIN is seeking a consultant (based in Australia) with financial sector experience and an existing network of contacts who can serve as a liaison and support a systematic program of outreach and engagement across the Australian institutional investment community. The Liaison will need to be a strong and persuasive advocate for impact investing who is capable of communicating how impact can fit within an overall investment strategy.
The consultant will act as a conduit for local investors in Australia to access the global impact investing community as well as tools, research, and resources. During the consulting period, the consultant will also build and maintain strong relationships for the GIIN on the ground that will support GIIN’s wider work, particularly in relation to SE Asia.
The consultant will work in conjunction with the Director of Member Engagement/Capital Mobilization.
Contract Duration & Compensation:
Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience. Initial contract will be a consultancy for one day per week at an agreed upon daily rate until December 2021.
Below is a general description of the Liaison’s responsibilities. The specifics around scope, fees and schedule of deliverables will be clearly outlined in the consultant agreement.
Overall Consultant’s Responsibilities:
- Develop a program of outreach to build and maintain relationships, particularly with the institutional investor community, that advance GIIN’s mission and lay the foundation for deeper and lasting engagement in the region.
- Work with to the ecosystem of players (asset owners, asset managers, and advisors) and local institutional networks in deepening understanding of the core characteristics of impact investing, market trends, and regional opportunities for impact investing.
- Create opportunities to share the research, insights, and tools developed by the GIIN with players in Australia to inform and strengthen the day-to-day practice of emerging and active impact investors.
- Work with different teams at the GIIN to involve Australian investors into the GIIN’s global activities to ensure that perspectives from the region are reflected in and/or utilized to inform broader field-building efforts.
- Represent the GIIN and the impact investing field at local events, in local meetings, and with the media;
The right individual will have the following qualifications:
- 12 or more years of relevant work experience, including working with institutional investors on responsible or sustainable investment
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with public speaking/presentation experience required
- Demonstrated experience in building partnerships and mobilizing diverse groups behind a common agenda
- Strong experience in project management with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and juggle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Team-orientation, with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work both collaboratively with colleagues located in different times zones and independently;
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours at times of peak project flow
- Demonstrated interest in impact investing / using capital as a force for good
- Aligned in thought and action with GIIN’s values:
Email cover letter and CV to Human Resources at . State “Australia Liaison_First Name Last Name” in the subject line of your email. Please indicate where you saw the job posting in your cover letter and include your compensation requirements.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we strongly encourage early applications. Selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN)
The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing around the world.
Impact investing is one of the most important social innovations of our time, and interest in it is exploding. The GIIN, now ten years old and backed by leading funders such as The Rockefeller Foundation, Ford Foundation, USAID, the UK Department for International Development, Prudential, and J.P. Morgan, has a growing membership network of over 300 members in over 40 countries. The GIIN works to mobilize a global network of leading financial institutions and others to dramatically increase the amount of capital being deployed effectively to social and environmental issues around the world. To learn more about the work we do and impact investing, please visit .