About the Job
The position of Director of the Syndications and Financial Technical Services Department which reports to the Vice President for Finance, is responsible for providing centralised syndications, co-financing and financial technical services (client services) to the entire Bank Group cutting across both public and private sectors lending activities. The Director is also responsible for designing and implementing strategies for capital management and Balance Sheet Optimization.
Under the general supervision of the Vice President, the duties and responsibilities include the following:
• Manage the resources of the unit to maximize its effectiveness in supporting investment officers and task managers, marketing to investors and executing transactions.
• Provide structuring guidance to investment officers and task managers and actively participate in presenting proposals and mandate letters to clients, emphasizing the benefits of syndication and cofinancing.
• Establish working relationships with the widest possible group of commercial co-financiers.
• Execute A/B-loan co-financings and Development Finance Institutions syndications, sharing responsibilities where appropriate with co-arrangers.
• Perform market soundings, pricing and provide risk appetite feedback to senior management for their consideration.
• Review syndication guidelines to ensure deployment with market practice and make recommendations for amendments and improvements.
• Develop internal operational processes and procedures for the department as well as financial instruments and performance metrics to incentivize, mainstream and scale-up co-financing, syndication and leveraging activities.
• Identify existing assets for potential secondary sale, obtain market feedback on likely cost of sale and, where applicable, seek all necessary approvals.
• Work with, inter alia, Operations (both public and private) / Financial Control / Financial Treasury, Financial Management, Legal and other departments within the Bank to establish capacity to act as agent for all B-loans, Development Finance Institutions syndications and other co-financings.
• Development of the Bank Groups Financial Products.
• Provision of Financial Technical Services to Sovereign and Non-Sovereign Transactions in Project Teams.
• Lead Domestic Capital Markets Funding activities.
• Lead the Development and Adaptation of Financial Policies and Programmes as applicable to the activities of the department.
• Design and develop instruments to enhance the management of the Bank’s capital and lead the efficient and effective deployment of the Bank Group’s risk instruments.
• Lead the efficient and effective management and administration of Trust Funds
• Serve as Acting Vice President for Finance Complex when required.
• Perform other duties assigned by the Vice President.
COMPETENCIES (skills, experience and knowledge):
• A minimum of a Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Finance and/or Business Administration or related disciplines.
• A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience acquired in reputable financial institutions. At least five (5) years of this experience should have been in a managerial level.
• Knowledge of market instruments and market sources of financing (sovereign bond financing, municipal/sub-sovereign financing, syndicated lending/infrastructure finance), other sources of financing and risk management/hedging products.
• Knowledge of fund raising and on-lending activities in developing capital markets, particularly in Africa.
• Excellent understanding of financial issues affecting sovereign and non-sovereign clients in developing countries and policy associated with the Bank’s mandate.
• A full understanding of the capital markets and demonstrated understanding of project finance and the use of risk mitigation instruments to catalyse private capital.
• Strong customer focus, ability to interface effectively with clients and business contacts at a senior land team level.
• Strong background in investment and development banking with experience in working with private sector projects, state owned entities, utilities/infrastructure authorities and government.
• Candidate must have a strong track record of excellence in written communication.
• Strong leadership skill to support and mentor staff in the Department and build teams
• Strong business judgment and analytical decision making skills.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
• Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is highly desirable.
Apply directly at https://oxfordhr.co.uk/jobs/director-syndication-and-financial-technical-services/
Oxford HR on behalf of the African Development Bank
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent