About the Job
Obviam is a Swiss investment management firm in charge of the investment operations and day-to-day business operations of SIFEM, the Swiss government-owned Development Finance Institution. Obviam also serves as investment advisor to private clients including banks, foundations and high net worth individuals.
Obviam invests in private equity and private debt transactions in emerging and frontier markets.
Currently, Obviam’s private debt offering consists primarily of long-term senior and subordinated loans to financial institutions serving SME clients in developing countries. Each investment is individually selected based on their risk-adjusted return and expected development effects, and assessed with respect to its financial
Obviam is hiring a Senior Investment Professional to join its debt deal team. The new hire is expected to be directly involved across the entire deal lifecycle, representing Obviam as hands-on investor towards external partners. The new hire is not only expected to continue developing Obviam’s existing product offering but
also to take a leading role in diversifying it.
The above title and the below responsibilities are intended as guidance and will be refined in close consultation with the new hire.
• Source and select debt investment opportunities in financial institutions (“FIs”) aligned to the development impact mandate of Obviam’s clients: analyse financial, operational as well as development impact information to determine present and future performance of FIs and mandate fit.
• Conduct quantitative analysis and macroeconomic and political research to assess country and market risks.
• Lead the preparation of the due diligence on FIs and conduct on-site due-diligence visits.
• Lead the drafting of debt related investment papers (in English).
• Negotiate and prepare the loan documentation, and close the loan transactions.
• Monitor the financial and development impact performance of FIs, perform quarterly and annual analytical reviews, assess credit risk of the outstanding loans and contribute to the preparation of quarterly and annual management reports.
• Establish and maintain relationships with clients and key stakeholders.
• Contribute to the potential future diversification of Obviam’s debt offering.
• Various ad hoc projects and administration tasks as required.
• Excellent written and spoken English
• If not a native speaker in any of the Swiss National languages, conversational knowledge of French or German.
• Undergraduate degree (finance related preferred).
• Strong financial analysis skills.
• At least 8 years of relevant work experience in finance, banking or asset management.
• Working experience as impact or responsible investor, building investment theses around ESG consider-ations and expected development impact in addition to commercial considerations.
• Previous experience in FIs analysis, performing credit risk assessments and due diligences of FIs.
• Ability to travel outside of Switzerland (circa 15% -25%).
Other selection criteria:
• Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration or Economics (desirable).
• Knowledge and experience of the financial sector of developing countries.
• Additional language skills.
• Self-motivated and proactive team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Highly motivated and results driven.
• Good analytical and reasoning skills and the ability to advance pragmatic solutions.
• Ability and desire to work in a multi-national and multi-cultural environment.
• Relevant network from previous working experience.
• Experience living in and/or travelling to emerging markets (an asset).
Obviam is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Entry date: Q1 2020
Please send c.v. and motivation letter (combined into one PDF document) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org