About the Job
We’re seeking a business innovator who is passionate about driving social and environmental changes at scale. This is a unique opportunity to work within Shell Foundation – a UK-registered charity that creates and scales social enterprises to tackle global development challenges affecting people in low-income communities living on $2 to $10 day. This role offers great responsibility and autonomy in a stretching and highly motivating environment. www.shellfoundation.org
Where you fit in
As Market Development Manager you will amplify SF’s social and environmental impact by sharing insights from our work with social investors and policy-makers in Africa and Asia – and creating supportive institutions to enhance energy access and affordable transport for under-served communities.
What’s the role?
Key to your role will be using your passion, energy and drive to understand and spot opportunities in the ever-changing international development landscape. Your responsibilities will be wide ranging, fast moving and pivotal to the SF future growth and success. In practice you’ll be involved in activities across various SF teams, but specifically to name a few of the key responsibilities:
1. Capture and report learning and evidence – Research trends, validate evidence and articulate the key drivers of success and failure of SF’s work; – Contribute to the publication of a range of reports, whitepapers and interactive tools to leverage commitment from key organisations towards specific SF business objectives and the replication of enterprise-based approaches; – Represent SF as appropriate at key international events, networks, conferences and partnership meetings, and initiate SF-hosted events with senior external stakeholders important to achieving SF’s mission and vision;
2. Co-create non-profit institutions to support market growth – Incubate and scale a range of non-profit institutions to catalyse support from investors and governments towards social enterprises that deliver large-scale impact; – These may include new industry associations, in-country accelerators, ecosystem builders and networks that aim to accelerate the growth of inclusive markets.
3. Lead our interactions and information services to social investors – Manage a dedicated investor relations function to deepen alignment with relevant social investors, corporates, governments and commercial investors who are able to deploy capital into SF’s portfolio and thematic sectors of interest. – Coordinate internal resources to build relationships with key individuals, better understand investor interests and deal criteria and improve the “investor readiness” of SF’s portfolio partners.
What we need from you
We’re keen to hear from men and women with proven commercial and analytical experience, with expertise for developing high-level external partnerships and managing complex stakeholder relations. Demonstrable knowledge of venture philanthropy and social entrepreneurship will be an advantage.
Along with a Bachelor’s degree, we need to see a track record of excellent strategic thinking, delivery and project management skills. Additionally, we will want to hear about published research and studies you have commissioned relating to social investment and the impact and outcomes of these. Beyond these key requirements, we’d expect to find as many of the following on your CV:
• An ability to distill clear messages from large volumes of complex information and to use these strategically to drive action.
• Proven knowledge of business to be able to make informed commercial investment and marketing decisions showing an ability to articulate key messages to a variety of audiences.
• A strong interest, ideally backed up by some practical experience, of sustainable development and social investment issues.
• Existing networks with thought-leaders in sustainable development/social entrepreneurial communities will be an advantage.
Apply directly at https://krb-sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=30030&siteid=5798&jobid=1489033#jobDetails=1489033_5798
Shell Foundation is an independent UK registered charity that catalyses enterprise-based solutions to global development challenges. We hold the core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people as key to everything we do and place the highest possible value on the diversity of our people and our inclusive and flexible approach to supporting our team.