About the Job
We are looking for a mission-oriented, driven, and entrepreneurial Director to join our offices in Singapore. This is an opportunity to be a key member building a unique non-profit startup that could transform the way social problems are solved across the Asia-Pacific.
We are looking for a Director who is a tri-sector athlete and an organizational-level entrepreneur. We have a flat hierarchy and an all-hands on-deck culture. An ideal Director will have the ability to walk between the people, public, and private sectors, finding new opportunities to create systemic change. The Director will then have the creativity and grit to help the team overcome obstacles in making that change a reality. The Director’s core responsibilities will be:
1. Project Origination. The Director will play an integral role in building a pipeline of potential PFS and related projects. This will involve:
o Building a wide network of potential clients and project stakeholders
o Entrepreneurially and strategically conducting business development to add value and create enduring impact for clients
o Writing and supporting the creation of concept notes and proposals for feasibility and structuring activities for philanthropic, private wealth, and government clients
2. Stakeholder Management. The Director will also help to ensure that our projects solve critical problems for our clients and deliver consistent client delight. This will involve:
o Ongoing relationship management of senior client counterparts
o Proactively troubleshooting and managing potential risks to projects
o Quality review of deliverables to ensure rigor and clarity
3. Team Development. The Director will also play a critical role in bringing the best out of our high caliber team. This will involve:
o Creating the systems and firm assets that will maximize the effectiveness of the team
o Managing and motivating team during engagements to deliver their best quality work and nurture their skills in the long run
o Reinforcing a culture of high performance, mutual kindness, and ongoing curiosity
This role is a full-time position based in Singapore, with a target start date of July-August 2019. On average, our teams travel about once a month. We support flexible working arrangements that enable our team members to deliver their best work. The salary for this position is benchmarked competitively to the Director level at similarly sized non-profits in Singapore.
The ideal Director will have a proven track record in the following skills:
• Business Development. Successfully pitching and selling high-value professional services projects to senior clients in government, philanthropy, or private wealth.
• Client Management. Managing senior client relationships through the lifecycle of a project that leads to project impact, client satisfaction, and a long-term relationship as the client’s trusted advisor.
• Quality Management. Possessing the analytical rigor, attention to detail, and understanding of clients to ensure that the team is providing best-in-class deliverables to our clients.
• Team Development. Scoping work efficiently, creating a positive team culture, mentoring and guiding junior staff.
The ideal Director will also possess the following attributes:
• Existing Social Sector Experience. Deep experience and credibility in local or regional social sector, with productive contacts to help achieve organizational goals.
• Creative and Persistent Opportunity Identification. Enjoys seeking new clients and projects, and is quick to adapt and try again if not successful initially.
• Nurturing Personality. Keen interest and ability in helping to grow the next generation of talented and passionate changemakers.
• Enthusiasm about Building a Non-Profit Startup. Willing and able to provide the strategic insights and get their hands dirty in implementation in order to create a unique platform for systems change.
• Comfort with Ambiguity. Excited about a fast-moving and ambiguous environment requiring fluid roles.
The following skills would be an advantage:
• Business language skills in Mandarin, Cantonese, or Bahasa
• Legal training and experience
Candidates with these skills will typically have had 10+ years of experience in social sector leadership or in professional services such as investment banking/management consulting.
However, we believe that there are a diversity of settings where these skills can be developed, and are open to considering candidates from different backgrounds.
To apply, please submit your resume together with answers to the following questions. Please note and respect an overall word limit of 600 words in total.
1. What draws you to our work?
2. If you could choose one issue area to do a PFS project in, which would you choose and why?
3. What key obstacles do you see to creating the PFS project in your selected issue, and how would you mitigate or overcome these obstacles?
Candidates may submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line Director – Singapore. Applications will be processed on a rolling basis, and we would encourage potential applicants to apply before 31 May 2019.
Tri Sector Associates is a non-profit social enterprise whose mission is to maximize the impact of social spending. We do so by helping governments, philanthropies and private funders across the Asia Pacific deploy a model called Pay For Success – a unique combination of data analytics, impact investing, and tri-sector collaboration that re-writes the book on how we enable effective social innovation.
The Pay For Success model rewards outcomes instead of inputs or outputs. Here’s how it works.
• First, private investors invest in a promising non-profit program.
• Next, the long-term outcomes of the program are rigorously measured by a third-party evaluator.
• Finally, if and only if the specified outcomes are achieved, then the government repays private funders their capital.
This delivers benefits to each sector: government only funds what works; non-profits have the chance to test new bottom-up solutions; and private funders deploy their capital in a catalytic fashion to stimulate change.
Our collaborators, Third Sector Capital Partners, Inc, are a leading US firm in launching Pay For Success projects, with over 40 engagements to date that are shifting hundreds of millions of dollars into evidence-driven feedback loops.
We are proudly supported by leading venture philanthropists, the Singtel Future Makers accelerator program, the Philip Yeo Initiative, and the Economic Development Board. By combining the best of global IP and local knowledge, we aim to ignite a profound systems-change that will measurably improve the lives of those in need across the Asia Pacific.
Tri Sector Associates’ leadership is deeply committed to building a culture that delivers professional growth through challenging work, honest 360-degree feedback, and an inclusive workplace. This culture is underpinned by a deep and shared passion for improving the lives of vulnerable people through systems change. Our core values are Respect, Rigor, Resourcefulness, Results, and Reflection.