About the Job
MCE Social Capital seeks to hire a full time Business Development Manager to steward and grow a portfolio of leading philanthropists and impact investors by building relationships and securing additional investment capital and philanthropic guarantee commitments. This person will be successful based on his/her ability to conduct thorough research, leverage and make connections within MCE’s existing network, coordinate outreach to new audiences, and develop trusted relationships through thoughtful cultivation and stewardship. The position offers a unique opportunity to join a dynamic global team and reports to the Chief Business Development Officer (CBDO).
Location: Strong preference for San Francisco, CA.
Guarantor & Investor Recruitment & Stewardship:
• Manage MCE’s current portfolio of individual Guarantors and investors, including high-net-worth individuals and their related family foundations, family offices, etc. Responsible for the full cycle of new individual relationships from prospect research, cultivation, solicitation, follow up, closing, and stewardship with the CBDO and CEO as significant resources and partners.
• Recommend and implement changes to existing individual recruitment and engagement strategy; partner closely with and support MCE’s Chief Business Development Officer on institutional partner (private foundations, DFIs, etc.) recruitment strategy and execution.
• Along with CBDO, strategically deploy senior leaders, board members and existing supporters to assist in recruitment efforts, and lead coordination of 4-6 events (receptions, dinners, etc.) per year.
• Manage due diligence process executed by potential investors, online platforms, and wealth managers.
• Regularly participate in loan committee calls to keep abreast of portfolio activity for use in business development strategy.
• Responsible for coordinating biennial MCE trip (next one in early 2021).
• Collaborate closely with CBDO on MCE’s conference presence, sponsorships, and memberships.
• Attend and represent MCE at conferences and within aligned networks and lead team’s preparation and post-event debriefs.
Grants Management & Other Responsibilities:
• Collaborate closely with CBDO and external consultants to follow up on promising funding opportunities. Conduct related research as required.
• Manage the production of all outgoing grant proposals and reporting (not a high volume currently but expected to increase).
• Become the lead administrator for the Salesforce database.
*Bachelor’s degree in a related field (business, international development, nonprofit management, etc.) is preferred but not required *5+ years of experience in fundraising and/or investor relations *Passion for and connection to MCE’s mission *Proactive and highly motivated, able to work independently without frequent, in-person oversight *Strong written and oral communication skills required *Strong interpersonal and listening skills required, with sensitivity and appreciation for diverse viewpoints and various communication styles *Strong management skills with excellent attention to detail required *Ability to manage several tasks and competing priorities in a multi-stakeholder environment *Flexibility, collaborative impulse, and humor *Excellent knowledge of Gmail, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required *Knowledge of Salesforce or similar CRM strongly preferred *Travel required (10-20% depending on time of year)
To apply please send a brief cover letter, clearly stating your interest in this job at MCE, along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Business Development Manager” and your name in the subject. All documents must be in PDF form and submitted no later than Friday, May 24, 2019.
MCE Social Capital
MCE Social Capital (MCE) is a nonprofit impact investing firm with a mission to unlock capital to empower families living in poverty to build a better future. MCE uses a pioneering loan guarantee model to generate economic opportunities for hundreds of thousands of people, especially women, in more than 30 countries throughout the world. Since MCE began operations in 2006, it has lent more than $185 million in support of:
Microfinance Institutions (MFIs) that help people living in rural areas gain access to credit, savings accounts, insurance, healthcare and health education, business education, and technical assistance.
Small and Growing Businesses (SGBs) that create jobs, help smallholder farmers, facilitate clean water and energy, and increase household savings.
MCE has a staff of less than 20 and while we do have small offices in both San Francisco and Barcelona, we operate virtually, and all staff enjoy the flexibility of frequently working from home. We are very intentional about inviting people to join our team and are looking for smart, committed, proactive individuals passionate about MCE’s global impact. To learn more, please visit www.mcesocap.org and check out our latest Impact Report.