About the Job
GIF seeks to hire an Associate based in GIF’s Washington D.C. or London office to join the Investment team. The Associate, as a core member of the Investment team, will be involved in building a pipeline of potential investments, their evaluation, supporting management of deals in the portfolio, relationships with investees and external partners. The Associate will report to the Managing Director, or her designee,who will oversee his or her work. The Associate will be primarily focused on risk capital investments and will be asked to support grant investments contributing relevant technical and industry knowledge and insight.
As a core member of the Investment team, responsibilities will include:
• Responsible for evaluation of investment opportunities, including financial modeling, business
plans and due diligence documents. This will include attending meetings with external
participants, undertaking research as required, assisting in the preparation of various investment
process documents, updating and managing investment records, corresponding with companies,
external reviewers, managing internal stakeholders, among other duties;
• Providing in-depth strategic and analytical support in all activities related to the management of
investments in the portfolio. This will include tracking portfolio milestones, analysis of investment
reports, assistance with various portfolio engagement and support activities, developing
knowledge resources and thought leadership on portfolio and identifying best practices across the
portfolio, among other duties;
• Support sourcing of investment opportunities, building and prioritizing opportunities
investments, and engaging in all processes and documentation involved in bringing an investment
• Corresponding with potential investees, supporting the management of those relationships;
• Data management and analysis in relation to GIF potential investees, internal processes and social
GIF is a dynamic and rapidly growing organization; the Associate will be expected to adapt quickly to the
needs of the organization and could have a range of other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND ATTRIBUTES
• Proven experience in principal investing in venture capital or private equity
• Excellent analytical and financial modeling skills
• Proven understanding of business models, with exposure to social entrepreneurship models as a
• Education in related areas such as business, economics, engineering, agronomy and/or work
experience in the areas like technology applications, data analytics, machine learning, agriculture a
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy, and outstanding organization skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to synthesize complex ideas and
clearly present recommendations
• Superior problem-solving and decision-making skills
• Self-initiator, with ability to work and succeed in a fast-paced, small entity environment
• Ability to travel internationally, including to developing countries
• A strong commitment to GIF’s mission and evidence of engagement in the areas of social
innovation and international development
• Ability to interact effectively and harmoniously with others
• A commitment and passion to learn and develop
• Resilience, grit and determination to succeed
• Passion, humility, integrity, team player, and a spirited sense of humor
• Work experience in a developing country context with a local company, investment firm or
• Ideally institutional level work experience either with an investment firm, management
consultancy, or multinational corporation.
• Advanced degree in a relevant subject
This role will be based in our Washington D.C. or London office. Any job offer made will be subject to the successful candidate having the authorization to work in the USA or UK prior to commencing work at GIF.
The applicants are urged to follow the instructions available on https://app.beapplied.com/apply/jd7ckgbwgc. The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the
basis of the information submitted in the application and in accordance to the evaluation criteria of the job opening. The application process will close at 5:30 pm, 18th April 2019 BST.
Global Innovation Fund is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment.We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for,including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through
other means, and the applicable legal requirements. If you are unsuccessful in your job application with us, we will retain your data for a period of 6 months from the end of the recruitment process. After this time, your personal data will be permanently deleted from our systems.
Global Innovation Fund (GIF)
The Global Innovation Fund (www.globalinnovation.fund) (GIF) is a non-profit, social-first investment vehicle established as a ‘VC for fragile places’ to find, fund, and scale-up cost-effective, evidence-based innovations that have the potential to measurably improve the lives of millions of people living on $5 a
day or less. GIF was founded to invest in innovations in the public or private sector that will inspire fresh thinking and create better solutions in developing countries.
GIF is focused on doing more with less to turn ideas into impact. To achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, the development community needs to draw on the resources of the private sector. GIF’s commitment to being part of the bridge between entrepreneurs and development finance challenges us to be creative and to seek the partnerships that drive creativity, dynamism, and collaboration. GIF’s unique hybrid model, as both a UK registered charity/US 501(c)3 and an investor,
reflects our dual mission: to invest in innovations that improve the lives of the poor, and to demonstrate how bringing evidence and the power of the private sector to bear can create new solutions to persistent development problems.
GIF offers grants, loans and equity-type investments ranging from $230,000 USD to $15 million USD to support a range of innovations with strong potential for social impact at a large scale. We support innovators at different phases of development, ranging from early start-up and pilot-testing to rigorous experiments and larger scale implementation. The innovations GIF supports can be located in any developing country and may focus on any sector relevant to international development.