About the Job
The NICM Real Assets team is charged with creating a diversified, impact-driven portfolio with a
broad domestic and international footprint across working lands, natural resources, and commercial
real estate. The Vice President, Real Assets position will support mission-aligned investments in
community-based forestry, sustainable & regenerative agriculture, and environmental markets, with a
focus on investment research, due diligence, financial analysis, investment memorandum writing, deal
structuring, legal documentation, and post-investment management of direct investments, as well as
supporting and maintaining partnerships with joint venture sponsors and fund managers.
• Evaluate investment opportunities by analyzing market trends, business models, and dealspecific
investment risks, enabling NICM to make effective and analytically driven investment
• Lead in-depth due diligence on prospective investments and operating partners.
• Create robust dynamic financial models for potential and existing investments.
• Participate in negotiating and structuring direct, joint venture, separate account, and fund
investments, as well as other creative debt and equity structures.
• Prepare well-organized written investment recommendations and oral presentations to
support Investment Committee decision-making.
• Contribute thoughtfully and fully to the ongoing interpretation and evolution of an impact
real assets investment practice, including identifying themes, metrics, and theories of change
as they apply to real assets and community/environmental benefit.
• Become a content expert and in-house lead for target sectors or regions (e.g., organic
permanent crop farmland investments in the US, international forestry investments, carbon
• Oversee one or more Associates who support real asset transactions.
• Minimum of three years of direct equity or debt investing experience, ideally with a focus on real
assets or natural resources (agriculture, forestry, environmental markets, real estate).
New Island Capital Management | Vice President, Real Assets | Page 2 of 2
• MBA, CFA, graduate degree in finance, and/or graduate degree in natural resources
management, agriculture, forestry, or a related field.
• Strong understanding of financial modeling, including ability to build financial models in
Microsoft Excel and interpret financial statements, as well as proficiency in asset valuation
• Outstanding project management skills with high attention to detail while maintaining a big
picture orientation, including the ability to work independently as well as within a team-oriented
• Demonstrated potential to be creative, flexible, resourceful, and disciplined in supporting a
complex, mission-driven investment plan.
• Comfortable working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment with shared resources and
without the analytical support or infrastructure generally available in larger organizations.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and appropriate interpersonal style, including
the ability to give effective public presentations, write thorough long-form investment
memorandums, and build a positive rapport with colleagues and third parties.
• Most importantly, the successful candidate will have the highest standards of personal and
professional ethics and integrity, as well as a strong work ethic and “team player” mentality.
• Position requires travel regularly domestically (monthly or more) and occasionally internationally.
Prior experience in mission-focused investing is preferred, but, above all, NICM seeks to recruit an
outstanding candidate who has a demonstrated passion for not only the investment business, but also for the organization’s mission and core values. Prior experience in emerging markets, impact investing, social enterprise, land management, energy, and/or policy work will be considered as positives.
NICM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and counts diversity as one of its core values. We
particularly encourage candidates from under-represented backgrounds to apply.
This position is located in San Francisco, CA. Relocation assistance is not available.
NICM offers a competitive compensation package, including salary, bonus, and other benefits. This
is a full-time position.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “VP – Real
Assets” in the subject line.
Your cover letter should explain your qualifications for the position, relevant real assets experience,
investment capabilities, and motivations and experience in achieving impactful solutions to
environmental and social issues, particularly as they relate to working lands, forestry, agriculture,
environmental markets, and/or other natural resources.
New Island Capital Management, Inc.
560 Commercial Street, Suite 400
San Francisco, CA 94111
Main: (415) 692-5760
New Island Capital Management
New Island Capital Management, Inc. (NICM) is a San Francisco-based investment advisor, focused exclusively on investments delivering risk-adjusted financial returns while striving to accomplishenvironmental and social good. We have a long-term horizon, invest globally, and select investments across all asset classes.
New Island Capital’s mission is to help its clients deploy capital – at scale – to generate appropriate, risk-adjusted financial returns and transform the way natural resources are used, businesses are built, and communities thrive.