About the Job
Athena Capital is seeking an Impact Investing focused investment professional to join its research team. Athena has been an active impact investor for many years and is looking to expand our team. Reporting to the co-heads of Research, the ideal candidate is an individual who has a strong interest in the impact/ESG investing field, has one to three years of professional experience in an investment role, preferably but not necessarily impact/ESG related, but one that has provided a solid foundation of financial markets and/or due diligence across asset classes or within a particular market segment.
Athena provides investment management, research and related services to ultra-high net worth individuals and non-profit institutions with approximately $5.5 billion under management. Athena utilizes an endowment-style of investing to build customized multi-asset class portfolios for clients. Importantly, Athena has a strong culture and seeks individuals who represent our core values of Excellence, Passion, Integrity and Caring (EPIC). For additional information on Athena, please visit www.athenacapital.com.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Depending on experience level, the candidate will have leading or supporting roles in the due diligence and monitoring efforts of impact/ESG related investments, which are primarily funds versus direct investments. The universe of investments will span asset classes from public equities and fixed income to alternatives but depending on background, the analyst may focus more on certain market segments. Projects will include contributing to in-depth analysis of specific impact issue areas in order to explore the investment landscape and understand how impact capital can create positive change. Additional ongoing responsibilities will include creating quarterly updates of investments and the active management of a database of investment opportunities, recent literature/articles, and industry contacts within the impact/ESG space. The analyst will also play a supporting role in continuing to build out Athena’s impact platform in terms of internal processes and procedures.
Major responsibilities include:
• Create investment write-ups and quarterly summaries on assigned funds
• Support due diligence efforts of various investment opportunities
• Manage database of impact investment opportunities, impact metrics, networks, organizations, and literature, and maintain best practices to keep current
• Contribute to in-depth assessments of topical impact issue areas to understand investment landscape
• Coordinate calls, visits, reviews, and database archives for assigned funds
• Present findings and recommendations on existing holdings and new opportunities to the CIO and Investment Committee
• Flexibility to assist with internal projects and duties across Athena’s research platform as needed
• Participate in daily market update meeting and news analysis
• An undergraduate degree
• Progress toward CFA or advanced degree is a plus, but not required
• Investment management experience through internships and/or full time roles is a plus
• Base of knowledge of and strong interest in the impact/ESG investment landscape and financial markets in general
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Highly organized and proactive
• Strong analytical skills
• Computer skills, including Excel, MS-Access, Factset, Bloomberg
• Willingness to travel as needed
• Willingness to assist in all areas of a growing business as needed
• Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Athena Capital Advisors LLC
Athena provides investment management, research and related services to high net worth individuals and non-profit institutions with approximately $5.4 billion under management. Importantly, Athena has a strong culture and seeks individuals who represent our core values of Excellence, Passion, Integrity and Caring (EPIC). For additional information on Athena, please visit www.athenacapital.com.