About the Job
RENEW offers a rare opportunity to join a rapidly growing impact-focused consulting firm working on the front lines of some of the fastest growing economies in Africa. Since 2012, RENEW has been pioneering an innovative blended-finance model that focuses on high-potential small and medium enterprises (SMEs) trapped in Africa’s missing middle. RENEW’s model enables its investors, members of the Impact Angel Network (IAN), to investment in deal sizes that are smaller than those of traditional equity funds operating in the region. RENEW then helps these companies scale through a systematically applied, hands-on active management approach. As a result of our investment work in Ethiopia, RENEW and the IAN have become the most active investment firm in Ethiopia and the IAN has grown to become the largest North American angel network dedicated to investing in SMEs in Africa.
At RENEW we have a deep belief that drives our work: At RENEW we focus on opportunities in developing nations rather than on problems. When invest rather than provide handouts. We find promising businesses in Africa, connect them to investors around the world and grow them into world-class companies. We do this because we believe that many growing businesses together create the engine that lifts entire nations out of poverty.
Our vision is to be investing in 20 countries across Africa, to grow the IAN to over a thousand members, and build hundreds of market-leading companies across the continent of Africa.
In candidates, we look for those who align with our values. At RENEW we value loyalty, hard work and a trailblazing attitude; we welcome challenges! What we do is not easy, but it is rewarding. We hire those who are committed to their work and take pride in what they do. We want to work with team players that we enjoy debating with, working through complicated problems, and having fun on the job. The people that flourish at RENEW are mission-driven and see the big picture and the long-term impact of their work. They roll-up their sleeves and do the dirty work and are also able to polish up and mingle with investors. And above all, we seek those that are selfless and will always put our investors first, have integrity and are trustworthy.
RENEW invites driven and like-minded professionals to apply and join us in pursuing this mission. At this time, we are seeking talented candidates for a position as the firm’s Country Manager – Ethiopia, located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Accountable: For the accomplishment of the Investment Unit goals for the Ethiopia country office, and ensuring the country office upholds the company’s values, standards of operations, and standards and code of conduct.
This position will be responsible for the following,
● Managing the Ethiopia team activities, outputs and culture
● Ensuring all tasks are set and completed for the month and week
● Reporting on the Ethiopia team’s progress to the RENEW management team
● Building and maintaining relationships with the business, finance, development and government communities in Ethiopia
● Providing and overseeing projects being implemented with pipeline, active-pipeline and portfolio companies
● Develop strategies with portfolio companies for achievement of their annual management plan and budget targets
● Overseeing RENEW’s training programs and regularly participating in providing training
● Overseeing RENEW’s development consulting projects (which align with RENEW’s investment work)
● Representing investors on company boards and build strong relationships with portfolio company management teams
● Providing, coordinating and overseeing the provision of business consulting to portfolio companies in areas of financial management, governance and marketing, with support from other members of portfolio management and consulting team;
● Ensuring accurate and timely investor reports are prepared on portfolio companies for the IAN;
● Hosting Econ-Tourism trips for members of the Impact Angel Network
● Creating and improving portfolio management and Ethiopia office systems and tools
● Ensuring timely and accurate reports are prepared for development partner
● Minimum of 5 to years of experience in portfolio management in emerging markets
● Minimum of 5 years managing people
● Master’s degree in Business, Finance, or related field
● Finance certification preferred; CFA Designation or equivalent
● Fluent in English: capable of speaking and writing at the highest levels of proficiency in English in professional and international settings
● Excellent oral and written presentation and communication skills and an ability to adapt communication styles to diverse and multicultural audiences
RENEW invites qualified applicants to submit their CV, along with a cover letter describing their qualifications related to the requirements for this position, their salary expectations and the reasons for applying, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
RENEW is an experienced facilitator of an innovative investment model that brings the development community, the host government, foreign investors, and local companies together around a shared goal: to grow the private sector in African economies while creating lasting change for its communities through job creation and positive social impact. RENEW’s model is a public-private-partnership that lowers the transaction costs which normally prevent foreign investments from flowing into SMEs in frontier markets. RENEW organizes and supports such medium-sized investments made by the Impact Angel Network (IAN), the largest U.S. based impact angel network for Africa. RENEW acts as the IAN’s in-country support team and provides consulting and investment services that span across all aspects of the investment process. RENEW’s model seeks to reduce the costs and risks foreign investors experience when investing in developing countries, and to increase the local awareness and strength of the business community in an effort to attract larger equity investments for its companies.