About the Job
We have been entrusted with an abundance of meaningful work, and 2019 is time to expand our capacity both in our core areas of practice and by adding complementary expertise. We are currently looking for experienced attorneys interested in what we do and how we do it.
- Business Lawyers with 5+ years of corporate and securities experience in a variety of backgrounds, including startups, corporate finance, lending, fund formation, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate counseling
- Business Lawyers with 2-4 years of experience, including competency in corporate, tax, finance, and/or securities, with a healthy desire to learn all of our areas of practice
- Intellectual Property Lawyers with 5+ years of experience, ideally with a practice that includes both registration and transactional work
- Trusts and Estates Lawyers with 7+ years of experience, with a focus on complicated estate planning for high net worth families
Send cover letter, resume & writing sample to Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org
Blue Dot Advocates, PBC
Printable, with links: https://bluedotlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019-BlueDotAdvocates-Attorney-Recruiting.pdf
We are not your typical corporate law firm. Our work advances positive social and economic change and we are committed to leading with our values. We work hard, but we also have fun and cherish our home lives. Working with us provides an opportunity to make a positive difference in the world – while practicing law – not in addition to it.
Blue Dot has been focused on the representation of mission‐driven businesses, impact investors, and non‐profits for nearly 10 years. In that time, we’ve…
- counseled clients on transactions in over 30 countries
- represented over 200 socially and environmentally oriented businesses
- worked with investors with billions of dollars in the aggregate focused on impact investing
- co‐founded an online library (The Impact Terms Project) of impact investment structures and terms with the support of prominent foundations and other leaders in the field of impact investing
We always strive to ‘walk the talk’ by operating our firm in a way that prioritizes the well‐being of our stakeholders and the earth over financial gain. This commitment is embedded in our organizational DNA as a workers cooperative and public benefit corporation.
Key Cultural Attributes
We hope that our website, particularly “Why We Do It” and this blog post, provides a view into our culture as a firm. Here are some of the key attributes:
- We seek to work only with clients that share our values around responsible business and finance practices. New clients must pass a values‐based client screen, described in our 2017 Public Benefit report. For new lawyers with existing clients that may not pass the screen, we are open to a process to transition to 100% screened clients over an agreed period of time.
- We value harmony more than efficiency. We use a consensus decision making process for all important decisions by the firm’s board and members.
- We prioritize a healthy balance between work and home life.
- We strive for thoughtfulness, curiosity, humility and a sense of humor in our work. (Have you seen our wigs?)
Location, Hours, Compensation
Our practice is global, and we do not have any centralized offices. Our current lawyers and staff operate in Colorado (from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins), Texas (Austin), New York and Hong Kong. We are looking for the right people, and are relatively agnostic as to where they choose to live and work. At the same time, we are specifically interested in adding senior lawyers in New York and/or Boston as well as the San Francisco Bay Area. For the junior corporate position, we do have a preference for Colorado (in or between Denver and Fort Collins) or Austin.
We are open to working with both full and part‐time attorneys, and we are ready to engage in partnership discussions when it makes sense.
In accordance with cooperative principles, compensation at all levels is based heavily on contribution to the firm. We are not currently contemplating fixed salaries for any positions.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse team. In addition to core legal experience and values alignment, we are looking for candidates who have a high level of demonstrated comfort with cultural competency. Any and all applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, sex, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or any other status not germane to performance. These positions will remain open until filled.