About the Job
The Sustainable Investments (SI) team at DWS Group (DWS) focuses on creating and managing funds with the goal to achieve positive financial, social and environmental outcomes.
The SI team is seeking to hire an Investment Officer to join the team for investment analysis, transaction execution and monitoring work across the portfolio. The ideal candidate will be a positive thinking problem-solver who is comfortable multi-tasking and working with a variety of people. The successful candidate will have a strong desire to learn and develop pragmatic solutions in a rapidly evolving field of sustainable investing. The Investment Officer will report to the portfolio manager of the SI team and will be located in New York. The position involves a high level of coordination with other members of the team, a small dynamic unit with multiple roles and responsibilities, in addition to collaboration with SI team members based in Europe, Asia and Africa.
Founded in 1997, the SI team is recognized as an innovative leader in the field of impact investing for its family of private debt and equity impact funds, launched and managed over 20 years, and spanning financial inclusion, clean energy, agriculture, health, and other sectors.
Investment Analysis and Transaction Execution
- Perform credit analysis on financial institutions / intermediaries and assessment on macroeconomic environment, regulatory framework, and market competition
- Structure transactions including hedging arrangements, negotiate terms, and prepare transaction documentation
- Conduct on-site due diligence visits for prospective investments, including field visits and meetings with management, credit officers, auditors, and regulators
- Draft credit recommendations and present them to investment committee for approval
Client Relationship Management and Portfolio Monitoring
- Develop client relationships with microfinance institutions and SME financing companies, including assessing ongoing financial needs and identifying areas for collaboration
- Encourage clients to prioritize social performance considerations in their operations and coordinate technical assistance programs
- Monitor investments on an ongoing basis, including conducting regular calls with client management, preparing quarterly reports and annual reviews on financial and social performances for portfolio manager, and compiling necessarily information to comply with KYC/AML requirements
Support ongoing improvement of group tools, processes and procedures, particularly informing updates to credit policies and investment processes
Represent SI team in the broader impact investing community, through participation in industry events and conferences
In collaboration with the SI team, develop successful strategies to achieve our group goals, conducting planning and monitoring progress against our objectives
- Four plus years of experience in an analytic role in the financial services industry (lending/investing) with proven track record of deal sourcing, structuring and closing investments
- Experience in emerging markets preferred
- Must have a true passion for financial inclusion and social impact
- Exceptional analytical, writing, presentation, and organization skills and an ability to communicate complex transactions in a straightforward manner
- Strong verbal communications and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively as a member of a small and dynamic team
- Candidate should be a self-starter and comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
- Effective time-management skills, with demonstrated ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload with minimal direct supervision
- A Bachelors degree in finance, business, public policy, economics or related discipline is preferred
- Foreign language capability, with preference for Spanish, Russian, or French
All inquiries should be directed to Sustainable Investments, DWS, 345 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10154. Please submit your resume and letter of interest via email to email@example.com with the subject ‘SI Investment Officer AVP’. Please note that due to the large volume of resumes received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please. Thank you for your interest.
DWS is one of the world's leading asset managers with EUR 692 bn of assets under management (as of 30 September 2018). Building on more than 60 years of experience and a reputation for excellence in Germany and across Europe, DWS has come to be recognized by clients globally as a trusted source for integrated investment solutions, stability and innovation across a full spectrum of investment disciplines.