About the Job
The Lean Data team at Acumen Fund is looking for an experienced finance expert to join our team as we spin out Lean Data into a new entity. Lean Data was created at Acumen, an impact investor that supports early-stage entrepreneurs who are fighting the root causes of poverty and is in the process of transitioning to an independent entity.
This a unique opportunity for someone looking to build and operationalize the financial infrastructure of a new, fast-growing, global organization that is revolutionizing how the world measures social impact.
Reporting to the Lean Data Director of Operations, the Director of Finance will create, operationalize and maintain a robust financial infrastructure in a growing, global organization. S/he will collaborate closely with a global team working in the United States, the United Kingdom, India, and Kenya. S/he will manage a small team of junior finance staff in service of the finance team’s global responsibilities.
The ideal candidate for this role will be comfortable with both big picture planning and detail-oriented "sweating the small stuff." S/he will toggle between activities like building out a cashflow model for an investor presentation, managing Accounts Receivable from 30+ global clients, and reviewing expense coding and signing off on Accounts Payable for a team of 100+ enumerators in 30 countries. The ideal candidate is someone who will embrace all of these activities: you’ll couple a keen attention to detail with a systems- and process-building orientation, laying the foundation for our growth and modeling the financial and operational rigor required in a fast-growing, global organization.
More than anything, we are looking for someone who is curious and entrepreneurial, a quick learner, and will be continuously looking for strategic opportunities to improve and grow in the way that we approach our financial management.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with operational team to build out robust financial policies and procedures applicable across all four geographies and optimized for the unique way that the Lean Data team operates
- Provide initial training and ongoing support to the programmatic team on compliance with financial procedures, including sensitizing the team to the compliance and audit-related obligations of the organization
- Identify and build out financial system(s) for use across geographies, including general accounting and reporting, expense reporting, A/P and A/R
- Transition historical financial information and documentation from Acumen to the new entity
- Oversee financial reporting, operations and accounting across multiple currencies and geographies, including by not limited to * Maintaining updated cash flow projections * Managing regulatory reporting, including tax reporting and quarterly reporting * Overseeing junior finance staff in implementing the above functions as needed, including bookkeeping, A/P, A/R, and reconciliations
- Oversee and continually improve the financial reporting process
- Manage and improve internal controls across the organization
- Oversee the annual audit process, ensuring a clean and seamless audit
- Manage annual budgeting in close partnership with the leadership team
- Talent management (gradually taken over from Director of Operations by Q2 2019) * Onboard new staff into payroll and internal HR systems * Support ongoing improvement of Talent policies/systems that evolve as the organization grows * Manage key benefits plans, including retirement and disability benefits * Ensure compliance with current and evolving local employment laws across geographies
- Prepare inputs required for board meetings and investor relationships
- Other related duties as needed to support our programs and organization
This position will be based in New York City, NY. Permanent authorization to work in the United States is required.
Depending on the hiring timeline, the selected candidate may initially be hired by Acumen, and the contract will be transitioned to the new independent entity. If the selected candidate is hired after the transition date, estimated at February 1st, s/he will be hired directly by the new independent entity.
Compensation for this role is competitive and will be commensurate with experience.
Master's degree in a related field required (MBA or masters in accounting, finance or similar field)
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience
- Experience in a start-up environment strongly preferred
- Experience with a global, multi-geography organization, including experience across multiple tax jurisdictions, strongly preferred
- Direct management experience strongly preferred
- Experience with Xero financial management program preferred
- Fluency in MS Office; specifically, expertise in Excel and proficiency in Word and PowerPoint
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent project management and systems-building skills
- Consistent accuracy in all tasks large and small, with enthusiastic attention to detail
- Ability to work efficiently, intensely, and juggle multiple priorities within an entrepreneurial environment where meeting deadlines is expected and comfort with ambiguity is essential
Candidates for the Director of Finance position are asked to submit a cover letter and resume, using the link below. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Application URL: https://acumenfund.applytojob.com/apply/STPOMWUWt4/Director-Of-Finance-Lean-Data
Lean Data, Acumen
About Lean Data
Lean Data was developed at Acumen to address the measurement needs for its $100M+ patient capital investment portfolio. Lean Data is a low-cost, high speed, end-to-end customer insights and data collection service that has revolutionized the field of social impact measurement. Since 2014, Lean Data has completed more than 300 projects, gathering feedback and social outcomes data from more than 75,000 low-income customers across 33 countries, working with Acumen investees as well as with leading organizations like Omidyar Network, DFID, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $111 million in 104 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.