About the Job
The Director, Education and Engagement is a new role at the Centre created to lead a portfolio of educational offerings. Stakeholders from all sectors – public servants, investors, philanthropists, financial advisors, etc. – are all looking to better understand how to embrace impact investing principles and fully participate in the market. There is an important educational and awareness gap that needs to be addressed before the full value of the market can be realized. The Canadian government just recently Canada released it’s new Social Innovation and Social Finance Strategy and subsequently announced an $800M+ commitment for national initiatives and $300M+ internationally, signaling an immediate opportunity.
This is a senior position offering the flexibility to leverage our strong track record, yet shape and mould a path forward. The successful candidate will have proven leadership qualities and a vision for how to build more awareness for an emerging practice.
• Lead an education strategy for the Centre
• Develop multimodal curriculum related to impact investing for a variety of audiences (public servants, financial advisors, students, etc.)
• Deliver high quality training and workshops
• Develop a viable business model to scale educational offerings across Canada
• Develop new partnerships with educational institutions, associations and other formal training centres to build impact investing fundamentals across the country
• Integrate educational components into current and future engagements with Centre clients
• Work with the Social Finance Forum lead and team to build on the reputation as a premier conference and gathering for the field globally
• Education from a top academic institution
• An understanding of the principles of impact investing.
• At least 10 years of working experience; demonstrated experience in social innovation and/or impact investing
• Experience working with senior public officials, foundation heads, high-net worth individuals and accredited investors in an investing or philanthropic capacity
• Experience developing training and/or educational curriculum
• Experience delivering training and/or educational curriculum
• Entrepreneurial; keen to capitalize on opportunity and grow a high potential team
• Excitement to work in an emerging field
• Strong and clear communication skills (written and oral)
• A tactile thinker who understands both the system levers and the practical mechanisms to motivate change
• A driven, results-oriented mindset with a desire to expand your leadership potential
• An openness and enthusiasm towards coaching and mentorship
• Strong relationship management skills and networking abilities
• Exceptional service orientation, friendly and professional demeaner
• Patience and the will to see change through
MaRS Discovery District
Toronto's MaRS Discovery District is one of the world's largest urban innovation centres, cultivating high-impact ventures and equipping innovators to drive economic and social prosperity in Canada. MaRS supports entrepreneurs in the sectors of media and technology, cleantech and healthcare by providing them with advice, education and market research, and connecting them to talent, customers and capital. An independent registered charity, MaRS also works with private and public sector partners to create solutions that open market access for ventures and generate social impact.
About the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing (MCII)
The Centre for Impact Investing is a leading national intermediary focused on advancing new models of impact investing in Canada. The Centre seeks to foster the effective application of social finance and build awareness by sharing knowledge and research through various platforms.
As the field of social finance continues to grow, so too does our team. The MaRS Centre for Impact Investing is currently searching for a variety of creative and progressively-minded professionals with an inclination towards new model of capitalism.