About the Job
Global Citizen Year is looking for a Development Assistant with excellent organization, communication, and data management skills, and strong attention to detail. The ideal candidate will successfully prioritize among multiple projects, initiate process improvements, and build impactful relationships with various stakeholders across the organization.
The Development Assistant will report to the Donor Engagement Manager.
This is a unique opportunity to work with and learn from a pioneering team, who was named the Top Ten Best Places to Work by Outside Magazine in 2018. You will have a birds’ eye view of what it takes to build and resource a high-growth social enterprise, and an opportunity to be part of a critical and growing team
Gifts Processing and Administration
- Process all donations in a timely manner, including: coding each gift, entering gift information in the database, informing relevant contacts, and facilitating appropriate thank you process
- Process grants and provide timely, accurate grant reporting
- Assist donors with gift transactions, including check and credit card donations
- Work with Finance Department on monthly reconciliations and annual audit
- Be the first point of contact for external inquiries related to development
Donor Data and Analysis
- Support Development Team to ensure 100% fidelity of donor data — ensure up-to-date and accurate information
- Track and report on donor campaigns, overall fundraising progress, and other metrics as needed
- Recommend improvements for donor database and donor tracking
- Produce accurate research and profiles on donor prospects
- Track donor meeting notes, emails, phone calls, and other items related to donor relationships
Donor Stewardship and Cultivation
- Manage organization visits (including scheduling, prep, and follow-up) for interested donors, working closely with staff to ensure each tour is successful
- Work closely with Development Team to research and create polished individual donor and prospect reports for senior staff and board members to inform donor relation strategies and track progress to goals
- Work closely with Development Team to write and submit grant proposals and renewals
Events and Marketing
- Provide logistical and project management support for in-person fundraising events
- Manage distribution of communication to key funders
You’re a hungry learner. You’re motivated to soak up information while learning and continuously improving. You bring a problem-solving orientation to your work and instinctively seek opportunities for reflection and feedback. You have a knack for strengthening processes to improve quality and efficiency, and you’re known for going above and beyond.
You are a champion dot connector. You see connections where others do not and are quick to point out who is connected to who and how those relationships to
You have a touch of ESP. You’re insanely proactive, and anticipate others’ needs before they ask – or even become aware of them. And you’re like a chameleon, adapting your style to accommodate others.
You appreciate quality data. You’re diligent about maintaining accurate, up-to-date records because you know that strong knowledge management is the foundation for solid decision-making.
You have an exceptional attention to detail. You’re used to juggling lots of balls and never letting a single one drop, all while performing at a very high level. You enjoy being a step ahead of those around you and this attention to detail guides your work.
You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions that turn challenges into opportunities. You can handle many important responsibilities at once and you’re rigorous about prioritization.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- At least two years professional experience required
- Experience providing support to senior executives preferred
- Experience with fundraising/development preferred
- Experience living/working in the developing world preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY
Additionally, you bring:
- Demonstrated passion for Global Citizen Year’s mission and alignment with its values
- Superb communication skills (writing, speaking, presenting) that engage and inspire others
- Tech and digital savvy, including proficiency with Salesforce, Microsoft Office, and Google Apps
- Professional poise and polish working in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional time management and prioritization skills
- A strong work ethic, with a desire to go above and beyond standard expectations
- Exceptional judgment, including a high level of discretion when handling confidential materials
Apply directly at https://www.globalcitizenyear.org/careers/development-assistant/
Global Citizen Year Inc.
Global Citizen Year is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise on a mission to re-imagine the “gap year” after high school as a launch pad for global leaders.
Each year we recruit and train a diverse corps of "Fellows" and support them as apprentices in communities across Latin America, Africa and Asia. Through a mix of experiential learning and leadership training, our Fellows develop self-awareness, global skills and grit – the foundations for success in college, and beyond. Using our core program as a proof of concept, we're now working with colleges, employers and policymakers to ensure that one day these experiences become a defining feature of an American education.
Since our launch in 2010, we've grown our operation ten-fold. Our nearly 500 alumni are thriving in college and careers, and have been honored as Fulbright Scholars, Davis Peace Prize winners, Teach For America corps members, and Peace Corps volunteers. We have raised $15M in seed capital from a growing roster of funders and partners and awarded $10M in financial aid to ensure each cohort reflects our nation's diversity. We've built a talented global team, advisory council and board of directors, and our work has been featured in prominent forums from The Washington Post to the Aspen Ideas Festival, and by thought leaders including Katie Couric and Nicholas Kristof.
Ultimately, we envision a world in which a Global Citizen Year becomes a new rite of passage — transforming education and unleashing our next generation as social innovators and global citizens.