About the Job
Global Citizen Year is seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial individual to join our Development Team. The successful candidate will work directly with and report to the President to design and implement a strategic individual giving program to support the organization and its programs.
We are looking for someone to manage and direct the research, cultivation and stewardship of our individual donors and prospects through overseeing and implementing a moves management strategy, and supporting our President/COO and CEO for key donor meetings. This role requires very strong strategic and critical thinking skills, exceptional writing and communication skills, strong relationship-building and stakeholder management, meticulous attention to detail and accuracy and excellent project management skills.
This is a unique opportunity to work with and learn from a pioneering team, who was named the Top Ten Best Places to Work by Outside Magazine in 2018. You will have a birds’ eye view of what it takes to build and resource a high-growth social enterprise, and an opportunity to be part of a critical and growing team.
- Support and staff the CEO and President/COO on all major donor and prospect activity.
- Personally solicit major gifts from individuals.
- Work with Development Team to create a major gift strategy and program packaging that will appeal to different types of donors and donor prospects.
- Manage cultivation, solicitations and stewardship of donors.
- Develop a plan around creating possible affinity donor groups
- Oversee tracking of donor activities and help create and oversee a moves management system.
- Manage and grow a small set of both institutional and family foundation relationships.
Prospect research, preparation and follow-up
- Develop a deeper prospect pipeline for future donor cultivation.
- Produce accurate research and profiles on individual prospects.
- Prepare documents for Donor meetings including research, strategy and appropriate materials.
- Serve as thought partner in identifying strategic cultivation and stewardship opportunities.
- Develop training for Board of Directors and Advisory Committees to create clarity about their roles and responsibilities as it relates to organizational fundraising.
- Enlist and support board members in personalizing outreach and solicitations to their networks of individual donor prospects.
Development Events & Marketing
- Work with Donor Engagement Manager to create compelling events and communications for key foundation, institutional and individual supporters.
- Develop guest lists and manage donor prospect outreach and follow up from events.
You love connecting great people with great ideas, and inspiring them to action. You have an insatiable curiosity for what makes people tick, and love enabling others to make a meaningful impact through their philanthropy. You excel at moving people from interest to action, and see “the ask” as a natural – and exciting – part of the process.
You lead from a strategic place, always keeping the big picture in mind. You have a clear vision of success, and can develop the strategy and plan to get there. You’re constantly evaluating whether your actions are driving toward your goals, and adjust your approach as needed. You meet short-term goals but maximize relationships for the long-term.
*You care about getting the process and details right. * You are obsessive about follow-up after a meeting and never leave someone hanging for more than 24 hours. And while you know by heart the number and type of trees, you never lose site of the forest.
You are a team player. People trust you and love working for you. You inspire confidence through a combination of passion, smarts and humility. You thrive in a startup environment and are hungry to do whatever it takes to help your team meet – and exceed – ambitious goals.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 5+ years experience of demonstrated success as a fundraising professional, preferably with a multi-faceted fundraising program; marketing, business development and/or sales experience may be considered to meet this minimum.
- Grant-writing, grants management and proposal-writing expertise.
- Portfolio or sales pipeline management expertise.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY
Additionally, you bring:
- Extremely well organized with an obsessive commitment to quality, detail and deadline accountability.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build trust and rapport with a range of stakeholders including Board members, funders, donors, and staff.
- Demonstrated passion for Global Citizen Year’s mission and alignment with its values.
- Superb communication skills (writing, speaking, presenting) that engage and inspire others.
- Professional poise and polish working in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional time management and prioritization skills
- Exceptional judgment, including a high level of discretion when handling confidential materials
- Tech and digital savvy, including proficiency with Salesforce, Microsoft Office, and Google Apps
- Great sense of humor and desire to embrace an entrepreneurial culture
- Tremendous commitment, work ethic and willingness to go the extra mile on a regular basis in pursuit of an unprecedented, paradigm shifting endeavor in education.
Apply directly at https://www.globalcitizenyear.org/careers/individual-giving-manager/
Global Citizen Year Inc.
Global Citizen Year is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise on a mission to re-imagine the “gap year” after high school as a launch pad for global leaders.
Each year we recruit and train a diverse corps of "Fellows" and support them as apprentices in communities across Latin America, Africa and Asia. Through a mix of experiential learning and leadership training, our Fellows develop self-awareness, global skills and grit – the foundations for success in college, and beyond. Using our core program as a proof of concept, we're now working with colleges, employers and policymakers to ensure that one day these experiences become a defining feature of an American education.
Since our launch in 2010, we've grown our operation ten-fold. Our nearly 500 alumni are thriving in college and careers, and have been honored as Fulbright Scholars, Davis Peace Prize winners, Teach For America corps members, and Peace Corps volunteers. We have raised $15M in seed capital from a growing roster of funders and partners and awarded $10M in financial aid to ensure each cohort reflects our nation's diversity. We've built a talented global team, advisory council and board of directors, and our work has been featured in prominent forums from The Washington Post to the Aspen Ideas Festival, and by thought leaders including Katie Couric and Nicholas Kristof.
Ultimately, we envision a world in which a Global Citizen Year becomes a new rite of passage — transforming education and unleashing our next generation as social innovators and global citizens.