About the Job
Adjuvant, a life sciences impact investment fund (the “Fund”), is seeking an entrepreneurial finance professional with 2-4 years of experience in investment banking, private equity, venture capital, or management consulting to join the Fund’s investment team as an Associate based in New York. The Associate will play an integral role in identifying new investment opportunities, conducting market research, building financial models, performing due diligence, executing transactions, assisting with portfolio management activities, modeling the Fund’s social impact, and supporting its general operations. Successful candidates will be highly motivated with a desire to leverage his or her finance or consulting experience—ideally with some degree of familiarity with drug development, biological sciences, public health, international development, and/or emerging markets. The Associate position will not be time-limited and exceptional Associates will have the opportunity to advance to senior investment team positions (Senior Associate, Principal, Partner, etc.).
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Investment identification, analysis, and due diligence
- Develop a thoughtfully reasoned point of view on the investment opportunities Adjuvant should be pursuing, create market landscape reports, source promising investment opportunities, and communicate analysis and recommendations to the Adjuvant investment team in an articulate manner
- Build relationships with promising companies and generate high-quality deal flow by meeting with entrepreneurs and management teams as well as representing the Fund at relevant conferences and events
- Support due diligence efforts on new investment opportunities, including identifying and coordinating subject matter experts, developing comprehensive literature reviews and landscape analyses, planning and participating in field visits, and synthesizing and presenting findings
- Build and maintain detailed financial models for prospective investments
- Draft comprehensive investment memoranda for presentation to the Fund’s Investment Committee (“IC”)
- Support the drafting and negotiation of relevant legal agreements
- Contribute to building the Adjuvant brand including writing blog posts and presenting at relevant conferences and events
- Actively engage in and monitor all aspects of ongoing financial, operational, and social impact performance of investments
- Work with portfolio companies on select projects including research projects, competitor analyses, and transaction/fundraising support
- Update the IC and other key stakeholders on investing activities, including quarterly letters, valuation updates, and any other material developments in the pipeline or portfolio
- Support quarterly valuation and annual audit processes
Fund operations and investor relations
- Facilitate communications with the Fund’s stakeholder community, including drafting reports, preparing presentations, scheduling meetings, and planning events
- Work with other team members to ensure smooth execution of basic office tasks such as expense tracking, bookkeeping, scheduling, travel planning, and recording governance committee meeting minutes
- Represent Adjuvant and help build its brand as a leading life sciences/impact investment fund, including preparing marketing materials, drafting press releases, and overseeing updates to the Fund’s website
- Relevant undergraduate degree in finance, economics, math, and/or a degree in a relevant field of science or policy (chemistry, molecular biology, public health, etc.)
- Minimum 2 years professional experience, ideally in fields such as investment banking, private equity, venture capital, or management consulting
- Demonstrated passion for public health or international development and familiarity with the impact investment space (emphasis on public health, neglected infectious diseases, maternal/child health, and family planning preferred)
- Experience with a diverse range of financial instruments and investment structures along with excellent financial modeling, valuation, and analytical skills
- Resourceful research capabilities, with a willingness to track down hard-to-find information about the products and markets targeted by the Fund
- Strong project management and communication skills with an entrepreneurial spirit and ability to cultivate relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong initiative, ability to work independently, and think strategically about business development
- Deep knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of products, especially Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Experience working in diverse geographies and/or an interest in and willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- A willingness to embrace a periodically intense work environment and non-traditional business hours to manage the Fund’s international network of stakeholders and investees
Please send a resume with a cover letter explaining your interest in this opportunity to Charlie Petty at email@example.com.
Adjuvant Capital (“Adjuvant”) is an ambitious life sciences investment fund established to support the development of new drugs, vaccines, diagnostics, medical devices, and other enabling technologies for public health challenges that disproportionately burden low- and middle-income countries. Adjuvant was launched to scale-up the impact investment model pioneered by the Global Health Investment Fund (“GHIF”), which is enjoying an emerging track record of success against both its financial return objectives and its social impact targets. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and JPMorgan Chase & Co. created GHIF in 2012 with the belief that it is possible to earn compelling, differentiated financial returns from life sciences innovations targeting neglected and high-burden public health challenges that are typically overlooked by traditional venture capital and private equity investors.
The Adjuvant team intends to expand upon the most compelling and impactful investment strategies developed at GHIF, with the goal of delivering top-tier financial returns to its investors while simultaneously generating meaningful improvements in public health around the world. More information is available at adjuvantcapital.com.