About the Job
One of the GIIN’s central areas of work is Research. Our Research program is widely recognized as providing the most comprehensive and high-quality practitioner-oriented insights into the impact investing market and state of practice, helping to bridge critical knowledge gaps facing actors across the ecosystem. Key research themes include market activity and trends, financial and impact performance, and impact measurement and management, among other topics. We are looking to enhance our capacity by bringing on board a high-caliber Research Manager.
By working within and managing project teams comprising both GIIN staff as well as external researchers, the Research Manager will:
• Help shape the GIIN’s research agenda by engaging in the development of programmatic strategy and pipeline that maximizes value to GIIN stakeholders and target audiences
o Monitor developments both within the GIIN and the market more broadly to inform the GIIN’s research strategy and agenda
• Execute on this agenda by engaging in all steps of the research process – conception, design, data collection, analysis, drafting, and dissemination – in an organized, collaborative, and resourceful manner
• Drive efficient completion of research projects, including by:
o Effectively managing projects by developing resilient workplans, delegating and empowering appropriately, and executing own responsibilities to a high standard
o Designing, and overseeing the implementation of, primary and secondary data collection methods as appropriate to the project
o Conducting, and overseeing the execution of, high quality quantitative and qualitative data analysis
o Drafting, and overseeing the development of, engaging and compelling research reports and other output products
• Craft multipronged dissemination plans and execute dissemination events that can inform and influence the work of practitioners in a meaningful way
• Manage junior team members (including directly supervising at least one), supporting their professional development
• Cultivate and manage productive relationships with other researchers in the industry for mutual benefit
• Support development efforts, including providing inputs on proposals and drafting progress reports
• Additional responsibilities as needed
The Manager must be an analytical, organized, resourceful, and responsible individual with a high degree of professionalism. The Manager must also be adaptive, collaborative, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. Experience in high-growth organizations would be advantageous, but not required.
• Strong conviction that investment capital can effectively address social and environmental challenges, and a demonstrated interest in impact investing, social entrepreneurship, and/or related fields
• A sound understanding of, and interest in, the world of investing and capital markets, including the roles and interests of different investor types
• At least eight years of work experience in a relevant field: (impact) investing, management consulting, impact measurement, practitioner-oriented business/investing research
• High quality fundamental research skills, including the ability to conduct rigorous data analysis and to write high quality reports
o Advanced Excel skills as well as comfort with statistical software (such as STATA, R, etc.)
• A demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, requiring the ability to seamlessly switch between different parts of the brain and engage different skill sets as needed
• Comfort with both executing research and overseeing execution by others, including via managing project teams across organizations and time zones
• The ability to represent the Research team and the GIIN with, and to cultivate and manage relationships with, high-level stakeholders in the impact investing ecosystem
• Experience managing highly driven and ambitious direct reports towards success by providing appropriate levels of independence, guidance and coaching
• An initiative taker, with a proactive approach to problem-solving
• Personable, engaging presence, with diplomacy, and good humor
• Must be authorized to work in the United States
LOCATION: This position will be based in New York, NY.
COMPENSATION: Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. State “Research Manager_ First Name Last Name” in the subject line of your email. Please indicate where you saw the job posting in your cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so we strongly encourage early applications. We are keen to fill this role and will review applications on a rolling basis, so we strongly encourage early applications. Selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. The GIIN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN)
The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing around the world.
Impact investments are investments made into companies, organizations, and funds with the intention to generate social and environmental impact alongside a financial return. They can be made in both emerging and developed markets and target a range of returns from below market to market rate, depending upon the circumstances.
Impact investing is one of the most important social innovations of our time, and interest in it is exploding. The GIIN works to dramatically increase the amount of capital being deployed effectively to address social and environmental issues around the world. Now nearly ten years old, we are backed by leading funders such as The Rockefeller Foundation, Ford Foundation, USAID, the UK Department for International Development, Prudential, and J.P. Morgan. To learn more about the work we do and impact investing, please visit www.thegiin.org.