About the Job
Masaka Creamery Limited manufactures dairy products for Rwanda and neighboring markets from it’s processing facility located in Kigali. Established in late 2015, the growing company seeks to be a highly successful diversified food manufacturing business generating meaningful livelihood impact through its inclusive hiring practices and links with smallholder dairy farmers. Over half of it's current 30 person team were intentionally hired from the Rwandan Deaf community.
Masaka Creamery is seeking a capable and entrepreneurial General Manager to lead the next phase of business development for this c. $1 million revenue business with over 30 employees as the American Founder/CEO transitions out of day-to-day operations. The ideal candidate will bring relevant business leadership experience including previous PnL-level responsibility, preferably in a developing world context, and must commit to remain in the role for a minimum of three years. This person will be responsible for implementing the company’s business plan under the oversight of the Board of Directors and transitioning the entity from a founder-led startup to an enduring growth business with appropriate policies and processes. Mission-driven candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Ensure continuity of all day-to-day business operations
- Demonstrate high levels of critical thinking, work ethic, persistence and entrepreneurship
- Recruit, retain and develop highly effective personnel at all levels within the organization
- Define success; implement supporting departmental policies and performance standards
- Manage cash flow and finances to ensure successful implementation of budget
- Achieve sales targets; anticipate upstream investments to increase throughput
- Represent the organization to all stakeholders in a thoughtful and strategic manner
- Communicate effectively in a complex multi-cultural environment
- Embody the vision and values of the organization
- Report to the Board of Directors in a timely and comprehensive manner
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required
- Experience: Minimum 5-10 years professional experience including in a leadership role
- Location: Kigali, Rwanda (https://goo.gl/maps/LWiwtHewEXQ2)
- Language(s): English (advanced)
Candidate will report to a Board comprised of Americans and Britons, and lead a team currently comprised of regional expatriates and Rwandans (both Deaf and hearing). Leadership will be available to support management transition and relocation (if any). Candidate should expect a rich cultural experience.
Fill out online Employment Application (https://goo.gl/forms/CNaoxB60WT7XxXrY2). Please indicate “General Manager” as the role you are applying for in the “Other” field.
Impact East Africa Investment Consulting
IEA Consult supports impact investors through identification, due diligence, execution and management of investment opportunities in the developing world.