About the Job
EFM was founded with a simple vision: to mitigate climate change by accelerating the adoption of climate-smart forestry across the western United States. Over the past decade we have been pioneering new approaches to forest management and have invested $130M to transition 77,000 acres to a more climate-smart, resilient ecosystem. We are leaders in the emerging area of conservation finance and impact investing in the forestry sector and are seeking to grow our impact and scale via this position.
This is a newly created position and a unique opportunity for an energetic, skillful, and personable professional to join our company. Like the rest of us, this person will wear many hats; you will work closely with our founders, partners, board and investors to make strategic decisions for the company regarding its growth strategy, field building initiatives, and investor engagement. Your role, broadly speaking, will be to solve problems and push the adoption of climate-smart forestry forward among the investor community. Specifically, you will be charged with leading our capital raising efforts, developing relationships, and closing investments from family offices, wealth managers, and high net worth individuals. In addition to managing current relationships, you will seek to organically grow the investor base through targeted outreach and customized relationship cultivation.
This job will include everything from prospecting new leads to walking potential clients through investment offerings, attending industry events, building long-lasting relationships, and providing best-in-class service to our valued investment community.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, self-directed and collaborative manager and will support the following areas: capital raising, external engagement, and investor relations. This is a tremendous opportunity for an experienced professional to join a growing, well-respected impact investment company and to demonstrate leadership in an emerging industry.
The position is based in Portland, Oregon but remote candidates will be considered.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop capital raising strategy to focus on institutional clients, foundations, RIAs and family offices.
• Manage lead generation, outreach, due diligence, and coordination of investor pipeline.
• Cultivate prospective investors and educate them about forestland investing via thoughtful presentation materials, meetings, tours, and background information.
• Lead due diligence meetings and coordinate with internal team members to deliver on investor requests for information.
• Lead Investor engagement events, dinners, multi-city meetings, and roadshows in an effort to generate new investor leads and engage existing investors.
• Coordinate with team members to successfully close on prospective investor commitments and manage closing processes.
• Work with team to execute investor engagement activities include tours, events, dinners and investor calls.
• Manage investor servicing team to ensure all investor queries and reporting are conducted in a timely and efficient manner.
Engagement & Field Building
• Maintain EFM’s presence in industry events, conferences, working groups, online forums, and in thought leadership publications.
• Develop long-term relationships and collaborate on new initiatives with key partners that produce events, conferences, and with investor networks in the impact investment industry.
• Create opportunities for EFM staff to speak on panels at industry events, practitioner networks, and represent EFM at these events.
• Develop relationship with bloggers, journalists, and media that cover alternative investments, forestland, and impact investing.
• Undergraduate degree, with a JD, MBA, or MS in Environmental Studies preferred.
• 7-10 years of experience in the financial services sector, with demonstrated career growth in asset management, capital markets, private wealth management, private equity, and/or impact/sustainable investing.
• Experience fundraising or in business development, with proven ability to raise capital from private investors, preferably financial services firms, institutional consultants, and family offices.
• Ability to walk the talk, understanding of alternative investment asset class, preferably forestland or real-assets and exposure to conservation finance.
• Track record of building collaborations across industry sector and multiple firms.
• Must demonstrate maturity, insight, and confidence in communicating with investors.
• Strong and efficient research capabilities, with ability to prioritize and analyze information that is both quantitative and qualitative in nature.
• Detail-oriented with excellent writing, communication and presentation, and public speaking skills.
• A high degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
• Clear passion for using capital markets to scale solutions to global and domestic economic, environmental, and social challenges.
• A willingness to travel.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and list of references by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application materials will be reviewed as received and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis.
At EFM, we believe that climate-smart strategies are the future of real asset investing in a carbon-constrained future. Since our founding in 2004, we have invested over $130M and transitioned more than 77,000 acres of forestland to FSC-certified, ecological management in Oregon, Washington, and California. Our management is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and our forests are managed to produce a full range of goods and services—logs for mills, clean water for communities, carbon sequestration and biodiversity – for the benefit of all our stakeholders. Our 11-person team has deep local experience in forestland investment and management, finance, tax credits, and environmental markets. EFM is proud to be a top 50 Impact Fund Manager and among the top 10% of BCorps globally since 2013.