About the Job
Obviam, a Swiss impact investment manager that invests in emerging markets, private equity funds and financial institutions, is seeking a Senior Investment Professional to work with its Private Equity Fund-of-Funds team starting in Q4 2018 or Q1 2019. The position will be based in Obviam’s office in Bern. *The entry title may be adjusted to the experience and seniority of the successful candidate.
• Relationship Management — Monitor assigned PE fund investments (both remotely and in-person);
• Investment Monitoring — In collaboration with team members, monitor assigned PE fund investments for compliance with Obviam policies, participate in governing body meetings, lead the preparation of monitoring reports to management and clients;
• Strategic Partnerships — Manage active relationships with other funders of assigned PE fund investments, seek out co-investment opportunities where possible;
• Expertise — Provide expert guidance on local market conditions in key markets where Obviam manages significant investment volume;
• Origination — Develop a network to source and screen new impact investments;
• Analysis – Analyse financial information to determine present and future performance of PE funds;
• Due Diligence — Conduct desk and on-site due diligence of potential PE fund investments to assess prospects' financial and social performance, and mission fit; draft investment documents and present potential PE fund investments for approval;
• Deal Structuring — Participate in negotiations on investment terms and conditions;
• Technical Support — Assist in onboarding new PE fund investment projects, act as liaison, communicate Obviam policies to these partners and update stakeholders on new developments and/or issues; and
• Documentation — Support drafting and review of transaction documentation of new PE fund investments with legal department.
• Technical experience with investing in PE funds and other types of impact investments;
• At least 5-7 years of work experience in Investment Management, Finance, International Business, Economic Development, or related roles;
• Experience in representing investors on Boards and other governing bodies of PE funds;
• Undergraduate degree;
• Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, or a related field;
• Ability to travel outside of Switzerland (circa 15-30%);
• Ability to work in Switzerland without sponsorship; and
• Proficient in English.
Other selection criteria
• A passionate interest in creating development impact through private sector investment;
• Work experience on the buy side with Development Finance Institutions or emerging market impact investment firm, and an established network within this community;
• Ability to assess investment process, team, risk controls, and other PE fund particulars (such as liquidity, vehicle structure, fees, and domicile) combined with the capability to evaluate whether they are being executed properly;
• Ability to dig deeply into PE fund portfolios and understand the sources of return and the elements of risk;
• Ability to conduct and lead meetings with PE fund managers;
• Good analytical and reasoning skills and the ability to advance pragmatic solutions; demonstrated sound qualitative judgments on PE fund managers;
• Intellectual curiosity, self-motivation, result-orientation, and attention to detail;
• Experience working and living in developing countries is desirable;
• Strong communications and interpersonal skills;
• Enjoy working as part of a team, but able to work independently; and
• Conversational knowledge of at least one Swiss national language.
Entry date: Q4 2018 or Q1 2019
Please send c.v. and one-page motivation letter (combined into one PDF document) by e-mail to:
Obviam is an independent investment advisor specialised in long-term investments in emerging and frontier markets. We advise public, institutional, and private clients, including the Swiss Investment Fund for Emerging Markets (SIFEM), the Development Finance Institution (DFI) of the Swiss Confederation. Across our various mandates we manage over USD 850m on behalf of our clients.