About the Job
AlphaMundi is looking to hire an M&E Analyst, starting on a trial basis as of November 2018. The M&E Analyst will be based in Nairobi, but will report to the AlphaMundi Foundation Director based in Washington, DC with a dotted line to AlphaMundi’s regional Director in Nairobi. This is an opportunity for someone who is willing to contribute to a number of different aspects, take initiative, and lead efforts to analyze and measure AlphaMundi’s social and financial impact, innovation and influence within the systems in which we operate.
- Data Collection: Ensure overall data quality control and compliance with USAID M&E requirements. This position will be responsible for (1) selecting and refining data collection methods and instruments for adequate monitoring and evaluation of investments and/or technical assistance projects; (2) designing and implementing gender-appropriate data and collection methodologies; and (3) ensuring timeline and accurate data collection on output, outcome and impact indicators.
- Monitoring & Evaluation: Implement all AMG portfolio and AlphaMundi Foundation performance monitoring activities, verifying the consistency and robustness of information, indicators, and/or data sets provided by portfolio technical assistance recipient companies. Advise senior management in designing and planning evaluations, special studies and assessments and provide input for the implementation and dissemination of these initiatives. Help monitor the current investment portfolio and its operating environment, and provide management support to portfolio companies through the holding period, working closely with Open Capital and other advisors as needed. Coordinate with external impact measurement service providers as needed.
- Reporting: Produce regular portfolio monitoring materials for leadership. Develop easy-to-read reports on data including appropriate visualizations to demonstrate progress and facilitate continuous learning. Prepare inputs for and contribute to the AlphaMundi annual reporting process and marketing materials.
- Investment: Support the team in all parts of the investment process, including but not limited to conducting detailed market and country analysis, due diligence on pipeline companies, investment recommendations and updates, and the maintenance of portfolio company documentation.
- Research & Case Studies: Prepare evidence-based case studies to tell the Fund and Foundation’s impact story, including activities, results and long-term outcomes. Conduct impact research with portfolio companies.
- Industry Trends: Maintain awareness of current and emerging opportunities and trends in the sector and apply them to AlphaMundi’s M&E practices.
- Other duties as assigned: As a member of a small team in a start-up environment, it is expected that the M&E Analyst will willingly take on tasks to support the broader AlphaMundi Foundation and Group.
- Passion for the field of impact investing and the mission of the Foundation;
- 4-year university degree in a related field required;
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible professional experience in a performance monitoring and/or evaluation, SME (preferably in VC/PE), impact investing or sustainability oriented organization(s);
- Demonstrated ability in data analysis, project design, monitoring, and evaluation of development activities;
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate with multiple stakeholders for needs assessments, data collection, and dissemination;
- Strong organizational skills to balance competing priorities and attention to detail;
- Strong financial acumen including accounting, valuation skills, and Excel modeling;
- Experience in Africa a requirement, i.e. being from/currently living in the region;
- Fluent in English, with a command of local East African languages a plus;
- Willingness to travel throughout East Africa as needed;
- A sense of humor.
Preferences will be given to candidates who also have some of the following qualifications:
- Experience in impact investing, agribusiness and/or renewable energy;
- Strong interpersonal skills with a good aptitude for pro-active communication and transparency, patience and perseverance;
- Entrepreneurial team player who is not afraid to challenge the status quo and seek innovative solutions;
- Outstanding organizational skills including the ability to set priorities, develop work plans towards multiple goals, monitor progress and track details on information and activities;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a flexible, fast-paced environment with an international team and frequent virtual meetings.
To apply for this position please submit both a resume and cover letter to Christine Roddy firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, 30 Sept 2018.
Please title the documents “analyst_lastname.firstname_resume” and “analyst_lastname.firstname_cover letter” and provide 3 referrals as well as full contact details including your mobile phone number and Skype ID. Applications without a cover letter and titled in a different order will not be considered.
Only candidates whose background fits the above profile will be contacted for a phone interview.
AlphaMundi Foundation is a 501c3 headquartered in Washington, DC, with a broad mission to catalyse and scale investment in social enterprises that seek to improve the lives of the poor. The Foundation was started in 2016 by AlphaMundi Group (AMG), an impact investing firm established in 2008 and headquartered in Switzerland, with additional offices in Nairobi and Washington, DC. AMG invests in innovative early- and growth-stage businesses with high social and/or environmental impact through its impact debt fund SocialAlpha-Bastion. Since 2009, AMG has invested more than USD 35M in 30 social businesses across 15 countries in Latin America and East Africa, and maintained positive annual returns on the fund’s invested portfolio since inception. AMG donates 20% of all annual profits to AlphaMundi Foundation.
AlphaMundi Foundation was established to amplify AMG’s work in impact measurement and technical assistance for social enterprises in target markets – driving towards SDGs including, affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth, no poverty, reduced inequalities, and responsible consumption and production. While AMG invests across sectors, the Foundation will focus on sustainable food and agriculture, renewable energy, and the energy / agriculture nexus in East Africa and Latin America. The Foundation has three main pillars:
1. Technical Assistance (TA): AlphaMundi’s TA often includes activities related to governance and management systems, financial planning and fundraising, and supply & distribution. The goal of TA is typically to build capacity in organizations to catalyse private sector investment and scale social enterprises nationally or internationally.
2. Impact Measurement: AlphaMundi Foundation seeks to quantify social return by measuring outputs, outcomes, and, when possible, impact. We believe the ability to quantify social return and outcomes over time requires subsidy but is critical to further building the impact investing industry.
3. Field Building: AlphaMundi Foundation is actively and openly contributing to the emergence of standardized practices that will help scale the impact investing industry.
As of 2018, AlphaMundi Foundation has raised donor funds and is currently recruiting a Monitoring & Evaluation Analyst to support and implement AMG and AlphaMundi Foundation efforts.