About the Job
AlphaMundi is looking to hire an Impact Investment Analyst, starting on a trial basis as of 01 November 2018. The Analyst shall be based in Nairobi and reporting to the AlphaMundi’s regional Director in Nairobi.
The Investment Analyst will:
- Participate in all parts of the investment process, including but not limited to conducting detailed market and country analysis, due diligence on pipeline companies, investment recommendations and updates, and the maintenance of portfolio company documentation;
- Help monitor the current investment portfolio and its operating environment, and provide management support to portfolio companies through the holding period, working closely with Open Capital and other advisors when needed;
- Support AlphaMundi activities in the region, and develop strong relations with portfolio and pipeline companies, co-investors, and institutional partners.
Candidates should have the following profile:
- 4-year university degree;
- 2-4 years of investment experience in SMEs, preferably in VC/PE;
- Experience in Africa a requirement, i.e. being from/currently living in the region;
- Preferably with operational experience in the renewable energy and/or agriculture sector;
- Strong financial acumen including accounting, valuation skills, and Excel modelling;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Fluent in English, with a command of local East African languages a plus;
- Experience with assessing and negotiating equity and mezzanine deals is highly desirable. Familiarity with debt deals is a plus;
- Demonstrated commitment to AlphaMundi’s mission and impact investing;
- Strong interpersonal skills with a good aptitude for communication and transparency; patient and perseverant;
- Entrepreneurial team-player with the ability to work independently without supervision for long and flexible hours;
- Willingness to travel throughout East Africa as needed;
- Ability to thrive in pressured environments;
- Confident and positive image;
- Good judgement and decision-making skills;
- A sense of humor.
To apply for this position, please submit both a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday 28 Sep 2018.
Please title the documents “analyst_lastname.firstname_resume” and “analyst_lastname.firstname_cover letter” and provide 3 referrals as well as full contact details including your mobile phone number and Skype ID. Applications without a cover letter and titled in a different order will not be considered.
AlphaMundi Foundation is a 501c3 headquartered in Washington, DC, with a broad mission to catalyse and scale investment in social enterprises that seek to improve the lives of the poor. The Foundation was started in 2016 by AlphaMundi Group (AMG), an impact investing firm established in 2008 and headquartered in Switzerland, with additional offices in Nairobi and Washington, DC. AMG invests in innovative early- and growth-stage businesses with high social and/or environmental impact through its impact debt fund SocialAlpha-Bastion. Since 2009, AMG has invested more than USD 35M in 30 social businesses across 15 countries in Latin America and East Africa, and maintained positive annual returns on the fund’s invested portfolio since inception. AMG donates 20% of all annual profits to AlphaMundi Foundation.
AlphaMundi Foundation was established to amplify AMG’s work in impact measurement and technical assistance for social enterprises in target markets – driving towards SDGs including, affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth, no poverty, reduced inequalities, and responsible consumption and production. While AMG invests across sectors, the Foundation will focus on sustainable food and agriculture, renewable energy, and the energy / agriculture nexus in East Africa and Latin America. The Foundation has three main pillars:
1. Technical Assistance (TA): AlphaMundi’s TA often includes activities related to governance and management systems, financial planning and fundraising, and supply & distribution. The goal of TA is typically to build capacity in organizations to catalyse private sector investment and scale social enterprises nationally or internationally.
2. Impact Measurement: AlphaMundi Foundation seeks to quantify social return by measuring outputs, outcomes, and, when possible, impact. We believe the ability to quantify social return and outcomes over time requires subsidy but is critical to further building the impact investing industry.
3. Field Building: AlphaMundi Foundation is actively and openly contributing to the emergence of standardized practices that will help scale the impact investing industry.
As of 2018, AlphaMundi Foundation has raised donor funds and is currently recruiting a Monitoring & Evaluation Analyst to support and implement AMG and AlphaMundi Foundation efforts.