About the Job
This role will report to the CEO and will be one of four senior positions within Convergence comprising the senior management team. The individual will work to ensure that the organization remains at the forefront of the blended finance market by building strategic partnerships, securing funding partners, and helping to shape the long-term vision of Convergence with a specific focus and responsibility of translating this vision into an action plan for Latin America, the Caribbean, and Asia. The MD, A&A will lead Convergence’s activities in these regions in parallel with the Managing Director, Europe/Africa, and will jointly oversee (i) engagement with public and private practitioners of blended finance to support their deal activity, (ii) creation of market-responsive content, and (iii) implementation of a high-impact quarterly grant window. The MD, A&A will co-manage a team of up to 15 people, most of whom will report jointly to the two regional MDs. MD, A&A will recruit and manage two regional representatives in Latin America and Asia.
In addition to the responsibilities below, the Managing Director, Americas and Asia (MD, A&A) is expected to build strategic partnerships that will lead to both financial and in-kind resource mobilization to ensure Convergence’s long-term viability. Together with the CEO and the Managing Director for Europe and Africa, MD, A&A will:
- Place Convergence at the center of the blended finance field by creating a high-energy, active network of members who turn to us frequently for deal flow, data and insights.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with world-class investors and deal sponsors across the public, private, and philanthropic sectors. The MD, A&A will lead responsibility for all relationships in the region, delegating specific relationships to others on the team as appropriate.
- Work with these actors to select and onboard best-in-class blended finance investment opportunities onto Convergence’s matchmaking platform.
- Create interaction opportunities between capital providers and deal sponsors for knowledge exchange and to discuss transactions seeking capital.
- Build strategic relationships with complementary initiatives, channel partners and other global organizations.
- Represent Convergence in external events, media appearances, blogs, etc.
- With the support of the Director of Finance, Admin, and Compliance, ensure team-wide compliance on regulatory issues.
- Ensure the curation strategy and content developed by the team responds to the needs of active blended finance investors, in particular the public, philanthropic and commercial private members of Convergence’s network.
- Translate insights gained from interacting with institutions in Convergence’s membership network into opportunities for new content.
- Guide the team creating the historical deal database to create information that is relevant to the Convergence membership in its form and presentation.
- Develop and lead a targeted training program for institutions in the Americas and Asia, including identifying organizations who need training, negotiating the relevant contracts, and leading the knowledge exchange events.
- Work to secure an additional $20M in funding by 2019 for the Design Funding facility.
- Participate in final selection of grantee candidates.
- Lead quarterly decision sessions with the Funding Committee.
- Review and clear due diligence for prospective grantees.
- Act as a thought partner to support grantees with instrument design.
- Connect grantees to sources of capital, primarily via the Convergence membership network.
We are looking for experienced candidates with 15+ years of experience in some combination of finance, grant-making, project management and content generation. The ideal candidate will have:
- Extensive experience structuring or managing blended finance transactions in emerging markets.
- Deep understanding of knowledge gaps with respect to blended/innovative finance transactions, and demonstrated experience creating knowledge products / research briefings.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and relationship-building skills.
- A network of contacts in the private, public and philanthropic spheres that can be leveraged to build strategic partnerships, with a particular strength in Asia and Latin America.
Interested and qualified applicants should send a single PDF document containing a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Managing Director, Americas & Asia in the subject line. We are looking to hire quickly and so will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
Convergence is the global network for blended finance, generating blended finance data, intelligence, and deal flow to increase private sector investment in developing countries. Blended finance is the use of catalytic capital from public or philanthropic sources to increase private sector investment in developing countries. Convergence’s global membership includes public, private, and philanthropic investors as well as sponsors of transactions and funds. Convergence offers its members a curated, online platform to connect with each other on blended finance transactions in progress, as well as exclusive access to original market intelligence and knowledge products such as case studies, reports, training, and webinars. To accelerate advances in the field, Convergence also provides grants for the design of vehicles that could attract private capital at scale.