About the Job
The Annie E. Casey Foundation is one of the nation’s largest private philanthropies, dedicated to building a brighter future for kids, families and communities in the United States. In the last decade alone, the Casey Foundation has given over $1.5 billion in grants to strengthen America’s families, increase economic opportunity and build communities where children and families can thrive, all of which is possible through its endowment. The Investments team manages the Foundation’s $2.7 billion endowment to generate returns and fund the Foundation’s grant making and operations. The team invests the portfolio in a variety of asset classes, including equities, fixed income, hedge funds, venture capital, private equity and social-impact investments, primarily through partnerships with talented investment managers around the world.
The Foundation seeks to hire two investment analysts who will be integral members of the team, applying their skills and experience to help promote the well-being of children and families throughout the country. The analysts will be responsible for a wide range of daily activities that contribute to portfolio management and investment decisions, including performing due diligence and monitoring managers. One position will focus on marketable investments, while the other will focus on private capital. These positions offer an opportunity to have a tremendous impact at the Foundation, develop specialized expertise and gain broad exposure to various asset classes in an intellectually stimulating and collaborative environment.
The Investments team encourages independent thinking, open dialogue and new ideas from all members. The Foundation also supports and encourages professional development for staff to further develop their skills and advance their careers.
These newly created positions, which will report to senior members of the Investments team, are early-career professional opportunities with a two-year term.
• Monitor current managers by analyzing performance, tracking underlying investments and actively participating in meetings/calls, with responsibility for drafting meeting summaries, reviewing observations with senior team members and following up on any issues identified
• Review, analyze and collect regular manager reports, updates and documentation
• Prepare monthly or quarterly portfolio-level reporting for internal and external parties
• Conduct due diligence on new managers, including quantitative and qualitative research and analysis, communicating findings and preparing investment recommendations
• Prepare materials for Finance Committee review and approval of investments
• Assist in development of investment allocation and implementation strategies
• Interact frequently with investment managers, external service providers and industry experts to formulate market opinions, identify investment opportunities and gauge investment trends
• Conduct special projects on topics such as portfolio construction and modeling, rebalancing, liquidity management, investment strategy, industry trends, performance attribution and portfolio exposure
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Skills and Abilities
• A passion for investing, intellectual curiosity and ability to learn quickly
• Working knowledge of capital markets, financial investments and investment principles, including performance and risk metrics, valuation measures and asset class characteristics
• Demonstrated skills in financial modeling, quantitative and statistical analysis and qualitative research
• Ability to conceptualize and present quantitative information to a variety of audiences
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Confidence to thrive in a flat, supportive team environment where everyone contributes regardless of role or title to challenge assumptions and provide and receive constructive feedback
• Flexibility and willingness to pitch in to get the job done
• Capacity to multitask and prioritize while working independently
• Keen attention to detail
• Facility with databases, productivity tools and other technology solutions; mastery of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word; proficiency with Bloomberg or similar software a plus
• Ability to travel overnight and attend some evening and weekend meetings
• A bachelor’s degree with significant coursework in a quantitative academic discipline and a record of high academic achievement; advanced degree or Charted Financial Analyst certification a plus
• Two or more years of investment-related professional experience
• Familiarity with institutional investment portfolios and, specifically, endowments or foundations
• A strong personal commitment to the Foundation’s mission
Please apply online at www.aecf.org/about/jobs
The Annie E. Casey Foundation
The Annie E. Casey Foundation is devoted to developing a brighter future for millions of children at risk of poor educational, economic, social and health outcomes.
Our work focuses on strengthening families, building stronger communities and ensuring access to opportunity, because children need all three to succeed. We advance research and solutions to overcome the barriers to success, help communities demonstrate what works and influence decision makers to invest in strategies based on solid evidence.
As a private philanthropy based in Baltimore and working across the country, we make grants that help federal agencies, states, counties, cities and neighborhoods create more innovative, cost-effective responses to the issues that negatively affect children: poverty, unnecessary disconnection from family and communities with limited access to opportunity.
Since 1948, these efforts have translated into more informed policies and practices and yielded positive results for larger numbers of kids and families.