About the Job
We are seeking a Compliance Senior Manager to use compliance policies and tools to create effective, efficient processes to design and deploy a scalable approach to fully understand, value, and communicate WaterEquity’s social impact. The role will involve close coordination with the Investment Management team during the due diligence and transition stages, as well as coordination with the Business Development and Investor Relations team to communicate regulatory expectations to investors.
The Compliance Senior Manager reports directly to the Director of Regulatory Affairs. This new position will provide critical support for the investment (loan) process, including pre-conditions, preparation and execution of necessary agreements, and helping design contractual models appropriate for the different fund countries. The position will also provide support directly to the micro-finance institutions and water and sanitation enterprises around the world who are receiving WaterEquity funds, as they navigate the loan process.
This fully-dedicated staff position will:
• work with the Director of Regulatory Affairs to refine, develop, and implement policies and systems to ensure compliance with applicable US and fund country laws and regulations;
• review documentation from borrowers to determine compliance with pre-conditions, communicating with borrowers directly throughout this process;
• facilitate the contract execution process, from initial conveyance of loan documentation to final execution; and
• play a key role in Regulatory Affairs projects, such as obtaining licensure to invest in foreign countries, understanding applicability of foreign tax treaties, maintaining state law compliance, Securities and Exchange Commission compliance, and more.
Our ideal candidate would be someone that thrives in a fast-paced culture and is adaptable to change. Because WaterEquity is in a start-up phase, the position will evolve quickly as the team grows and priorities change. The candidate must be willing to play a variety of roles as we launch additional funds and hire staff. The candidate should be comfortable working remotely and in tandem with other team members/contractors, including across borders as many team members are based abroad.
• Maintain awareness of compliance requirements in each fund country that are applicable to WaterEquity and its borrowers
• Lead the execution of the loan process, from initial conveyance of loan documents through the conditions precedent process, proactively communicating with borrowers throughout to troubleshoot and provide support
• Serve as the main point of contact for borrower questions
• Work directly with local legal counsel in fund countries, as needed
• Coordinate with the Investment Management team to ensure satisfaction of internal and external requirements for each loan transaction
• Coordinate with the Business Development team to obtain investor information necessary to meet regulatory requirements
• Collaborate with Director of Regulatory Affairs on process improvement and new process development
• Maintain WaterEquity’s compliance policies and procedures, including overseeing periodic review and assisting with internal training and risk assessment
MINIMUM EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
A Bachelor’s degree required (Juris Doctor preferred). A minimum of four (4) years of experience in a legal, compliance, or financial/banking environment is also required and preferably at a management consultancy, financial services firm, or international non-profit organization. Additionally, the candidate must be authorized to work and reside in the United States and have excellent communication skills; both verbal and written.
• Demonstrated ability to pay unwavering attention to detail
• Flexibility and ability to work on and manage multiple projects at one time while still meeting deadlines
• Balanced approach to compliance and operations that melds legal requirements with realistic and practical business operation solutions
• Experience working within existing processes while continually assessing opportunities for improvement
• Excellent communication and writing skills, with an ability to convey complex regulatory requirements in a precise and straight forward way that is understandable by borrowers
• Proactive problem-solving attitude and willingness to adapt to an evolving role in a startup environment
Please label your attachments as “Date_Last name, First name” and upload in pdf format. All documents should be submitted as one pdf file (cover letter and resume).
Apply directly by copying/pasting the following link into a browser window: https://www.dropbox.com/request/6WBKo9bpkxw90JqQ7mGe
WaterEquity is a new impact investment manager dedicated to raising and deploying capital to businesses impacting the lives of millions in need of access to safe water and sanitation. Co-founded by social entrepreneur Gary White and actor Matt Damon, WaterEquity is uniquely positioned to help grow and scale these businesses, generating market-level impact and leveling the playing field for the world’s poor.
In 2015, WaterEquity launched its inaugural investment fund— WaterCredit Investment Fund 1 (“WCIF1”). This Fund provides loan capital at slightly concessionary rates to high-performing microfinance institutions (MFIs) in India to scale their water and sanitation loan portfolios for the poor. To date, this $11 million Fund has transformed the lives of 225,000 people and is well on its way to reach one million people over its seven-year term.
In April 2017, WaterEquity went to market with a new $50M flagship Fund to invest in high-growth and socially-minded businesses in India, Indonesia, Cambodia, and the Philippines. Building a new market, this Fund will provide more affordable debt financing to Water.org’s MFI partners, all of which have a strong track record of providing small, affordable water and sanitation loans to families in need. This Fund will also provide capital to utilities, toilet manufacturers, and water purification and sales kiosks. With committed investments already totaling $32 million from institutional investors and foundations including the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, Bank of America, and the Hilton and Skoll Foundations; WaterEquity aims to close this Fund by June 30, 2018. Investments, which will generate a 3.5% return for investors, will impact the lives of 4.6 million people, at a near zero philanthropic cost. With a blended capital structure, this Fund also includes a $5 million first-loss guarantee that covers both investment returns and principal.