About the Job
You are excited to see the fields of impact investing and entrepreneurship development adopting new approaches to impact measurement that can translate into more responsive and effective solutions to development challenges. You can walk someone through the IRIS taxonomy, talk impact assessment methodologies with economists, and make both conversations sound compelling to the uninitiated. You like challenging commonly-held assumptions and thinking at a high-level about the sector, but you also thrive on rolling up your sleeves and getting stuff done.
Knowledge of and expertise in the SGB sector. The Director of Research & Impact will serve as a resource to the organization and its membership, with a strong understanding of the sector, including the impact of small and growing businesses, familiarity with enterprise development approaches, comfort with finance-related topics, and knowledge of the international development landscape.
Impact measurement expertise. ANDE’s focus on impact measurement has expanded, with new global projects in Latin America and Africa. The sector’s focus on impact measurement has increased as well, and there is growing demand from members and others to increase the emphasis on rigorous and relevant impact measurement. There is potential to expand ANDE’s work in this area, with new funders and new projects, and continuing existing projects. As this topic evolves the Director’s role will be to support internal teams to gain knowledge, and push for innovation in impact measurement.
Research to influence practitioners and policymakers. A vital role of the Director is translating between the academic and practitioner communities, distilling relevant take-aways from research, and communicating findings effectively through written, digital, and in-person mechanisms.
Project and grant management. The Director will manage a portfolio of projects, as well as provide support to a wider array of ANDE initiatives and member support services. This role requires knowledge of financial management and grant administration, as well as oversight of research or evaluation project implementation.
Collaborative and field-building mindset. The Director will serve an important role in building the SGB sector, supporting ANDE members to become more effective, and helping ANDE’s regional chapters to develop country-specific insights. Often, ANDE is best positioned to disseminate or support others’ research rather than conduct primary research ourselves. The role of facilitator, disseminator, and collaborator should be built into what motivates this person, rather than the need to lead primary research.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Providing oversight on a large portfolio of research and impact measurement projects, including managing the second phase of the Global Accelerator Learning Initiative (GALI) in partnership with Emory University
Leading ANDE as a platform for knowledge sharing and experimentation around impact measurement, including through large in-person convenings, virtual communities, regranting programs, and more
Synthesizing key research for the SGB sector for ANDE members and others
Oversee and provide guidance for other research projects, such as ANDE’s State of the SGB Sector report and Impact Investing in Latin America report.
Develop new partnerships and maintain existing partnerships with impact assessment professionals and organizations, academics, and others conducting research in the field
Continue to develop and implement a strategy of research and impact for ANDE that is inclusive of the diversity of ANDE member organizations
Providing ad hoc research for blogs and speaking engagements
Develop a strategy to guide ANDE’s research and impact work, engaging with donors and partners to fundraise and execute
The ideal candidate for this position has:
- At a minimum a master’s degree in social sciences or business and 8 years of relevant work experience; OR a doctoral degree in social sciences or business and 6 years of relevant work experience;
- Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with multiple stakeholders and managing multi-constituent partnerships
- Experience conducting impact assessments, providing guidance on evaluation methodology, or developing standards for the field
- Experience communicating research to non-researchers/analysts; ability to develop concise and powerful research summaries and presentations
- Experience or working knowledge of the small and growing business sector or other related fields
- Ability to develop thoughtful and creative approaches for addressing a wide range of analytic questions
- Experience with publication production, survey design, data management, and data analysis preferred
- Experience in leading and managing a team
- Experience working in another country or comfort working across cultures
- Ability to thrive in and enjoy working in a team-oriented, high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking
- Attention to detail and the maturity and self-discipline to work independently, along with the judgment to seek supervision and/or input from others when necessary; able to represent ANDE and the Aspen Institute with a high degree of professional integrity and ethics
The candidate will self-identify with and/or have previously thrived in an environment that aligns with ANDE’s Values. At ANDE we:are motivated by the urgency of the global challenges we are trying to address embrace diverse experiences and perspectives value community and collaborative action leverage limited resources for maximum impact work hard and have fun!
please submit a cover letter and resume through the online portal: https://aspeninstitute.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=780963&&&nohd#
Applications without cover letter and salary expectations will not be considered.
Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE)
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a program within the Aspen Institute. ANDE is a global membership network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs will create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits. Ultimately, we believe that SGBs can help lift countries out of poverty. Launched with 34 members in 2009, ANDE now comprises over 280 members who collectively operate in more than 150 countries.