About the Job
Yunus Social Business Foundation Uganda Ltd. (YSB Uganda) provides patient finance and business support services to sustainable social businesses. With a firm conviction that business is the most efficient tool to tackle zero poverty, YSB’s mission is to enable entrepreneurs to create game-changing social businesses that provide income and deliver essential products and services to Bottom of the Pyramid (BoP) communities in Uganda. Our vision is to harness the power of business to end poverty.
YSB was founded by Nobel Peace Laureate Muhammad Yunus and is part of the Grameen network of over 40 social businesses and more than 50,000 employees. In addition to Uganda, Yunus Social Business entities are operational in the Balkans, Brazil, Columbia, India, Haiti and Tunisia; with a team of over 40 people in the 7 country offices and a central office in Germany. The Uganda office is based in Kampala.
A social business is a new kind of organization that combines the strengths of both civil society and the business world. Social businesses have a social or environmental mission – like NGOs – but are financially self-sustainable – like businesses. Hence, social business is a combination of social action on one side, and entrepreneurship and market discipline on the other side. The many Grameen success stories in Bangladesh and elsewhere demonstrate that social businesses can be powerful tools to unlock economic potential, create employment and self-employment, help solve social problems and reduce poverty in a sustainable way. Uganda has been selected by Prof. Yunus as one of the priority countries for social business promotion.
YSB Uganda is looking for a dynamic and self-motivated team member with strong management, organizational and leadership skills to join its small, entrepreneurial team. The position for Investment Manager at YSB Uganda is based in Kampala, Uganda.
Main responsibilities of the Investment Manager
The main responsibility of the Investment Manager is to maintain a strong pipeline of businesses and perform due diligence on the strongest social businesses. The major focus shall be to execute deals in the agriculture, clean energy, WASH, education/ICT and health sectors
The Investment Manager will report to the Managing Director, work closely with the Chief Investment Officer and Portfolio Managers based at the YSB global office, and collaborate with the country teams on cross-cutting work streams.
His/her responsibilities include, but will not be limited to:
Sourcing and Preparing Businesses to Become Investible
• Developing the Social Business pipeline including sourcing of new Social Business opportunities and initial screening of business plans
• Development, implementation and continuous improvement of the investment-readiness programs, including adaptation of the architecture of the program to the local context, organization of the workshops and the coaching/mentoring of selected entrepreneurs, linking the entrepreneurs to mentors, experts and markets or investors during the program
• Performing due diligence for social businesses in our pipeline including validation of the business and financial model, social impact model and theory of change, preparation of Investment Committee meetings, preparation and negotiation of term sheets and contracts and closing of investment deals
• Continuous improvements of the due diligence and investment process
H/she will also contribute to Portfolio Management:
• Maintaining relations with Social Businesses in the portfolio, in particular
Working closely with Social Business Entrepreneurs in the portfolio in order to understand their needs and provide them with on-going support to develop and grow their social businesses
Ensuring monthly, quarterly and annual reporting is performed by the social businesses in the portfolio, ensuring due escalation of any issues (lack of reporting, underperformance, mission drift)
Preparation of monthly local and quarterly international portfolio reviews
Continuous improvement of the portfolio management processes, including reporting and tracking tools to monitor and evaluate the social and financial impact, as well as the processes that ensure that adequate resources are matched to the needs of the entrepreneurs
• Supporting the Managing Director in developing and implementing initiatives for generating income to sustain YSB operations.
• Supporting fund raising activities on a local level, such as drafting of Funder proposals as well as supporting on funder and donor reporting
• Participation in global work streams on a variety of topics contributing to the development of YSB globally i.e. working with team members in YSB Global Initiatives (Germany) and other country teams to support on a diverse range of topics including: development of new tools, processes and products, impact assessment, research etc.
• Close collaboration with the International Investment and Portfolio team (based in Germany) on Fund related topics
• Any other activities dealing with the day-to-day or long-term business continuity and serving the purpose of advancing Yunus Social Business
Qualifications, skills and experience
An ideal candidate should display the following qualities, skills, and experience:
• A Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Entrepreneurship or related field.
• At least 3-5 years of experience in Consulting, Venture Capital, Impact Investing
• Previous entrepreneurial experience is highly valued
• Numeracy, critical thinking, evidence-based analysis, efficiency and thoroughness, demonstrated by excellent academic qualifications;
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced loosely structured environment and ability to adapt quickly as things change
o Warm, ‘can-do’ and hands-on attitude with a strong team spirit in supporting the entire team
o Comfortable working with an entrepreneurial and international team
o Diplomacy, negotiating skills
o Excellent oral and written communication skills
• An excellent understanding of “social business” and how this is related to other concepts, e.g. social innovation, social entrepreneurship, inclusive business, impact investing
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Apps or other similar technologies
• Willingness to travel outside of Kampala, including to rural areas, as well as occasional international travel
• Fluency in written and oral English is a must.
You are invited to apply until 30th April 2018. Please send an English CV along with three names of references and your motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us about how you match up to the characteristics we are looking for and why you would be a great addition to our team. Please indicate where you heard about this job opportunity. Please also let us know your earliest start date and your salary expectations.
We hope for your understanding that, due to the many applications we receive, we can only contact shortlisted applicants. Thank you.
Yunus Social Business Funds
Yunus Social Business is a non-profit venture fund. We believe that business can be used to solve human problems. We turn donations into investments in social businesses that provide employment, education, healthcare, clean water and clean energy to over a million people worldwide.
Founded in 2011 by Saskia Bruysten, Sophie Eisenmann and Nobel Peace Laureate Muhammad Yunus, our mission is to promote social business as a sustainable alternative to long-term aid, bridging the gap between business and philanthropy.
Our social business venture fund covers 7 regions and our in-country teams run regular workshops and social business accelerators for local entrepreneurs. We invest in promising social businesses providing them with patient finance as well as long term business support.