About the Job
Acumen is looking for an individual to join our New York Legal team in a new role: a Senior Associate in policies and risk management. We seek someone with 2-7 years of experience in a professional environment who is committed to tackling poverty, curious about how an organization operates, and leads with kindness. We seek someone who has a knack for organization, project management, and earned accountability.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders, and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services enable the poor to transform their lives. Since 2001, Acumen has invested more than $113 million in 108 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. We have developed a growing community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills, and determination to create a more inclusive world. We were named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies in 2015.
About the role
We are hiring for a new role for our increasingly complex, international organization. This role will be responsible for Acumen’s adherence to relevant external laws and regulations, and requirements of our funders. The scope of responsibilities is broad and will include policy monitoring and reporting, team trainings, managing compliance procedures internally and across government agencies and regions, and implementing and monitoring risk mitigation plans in conjunction with the operations and functional teams at Acumen. Some accountabilities include:
- Implement and monitor a policy and risk management program for Acumen
- Drive implementation of risk mitigation action plans
- Keep abreast of regulatory developments and industry initiatives and advise management accordingly
- Design and implement team trainings regarding organizational policies
- Prepare reports and filings for our entities and activities, and answer diligence questionnaires concerning operations for funding proposals
- Identify opportunities to systematize our operations with our investment funds across fund management teams, and organize our information in a coherent, accessible manner.
- Support Legal and Ops teams on administrative and records management needs
- Report to the General Counsel and support general initiatives of the function
Ideally, you have 2-7 years of work experience, the maturity to handle projects independently, the wisdom to collaborate with relevant stakeholders, and good moral judgment. You are organized, motivated, and accountable. You have some exposure to legal work, compliance, or investing.
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management
- Ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills – courtesy, tact, patience, kindness, strong team orientation, humor, and joy
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with and across teams
- Curiosity to learn about operations functions and what it takes to make an organization function effectively
- Organization and accountability to track multiple projects simultaneously and self-knowledge to ask for help when needed
- Permanent work authorization in the US required
Additional characteristics we seek for all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect.
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly-changing environment with resilience and resolve.
- A sense of humor (really).
Please submit your resume and response to the following questions via the following link: https://bit.ly/2H7syoS
- Why Acumen? What attracts you? (Max 150 words)
- Describe a situation in which you had to manage a process in an uncertain and fast-paced environment. How did you navigate the ambiguity while engaging stakeholders? (Max 300 words)
We are a global community changing the way the world tackles poverty.
Neither the markets nor aid alone can solve the problems of poverty. More than two billion people around the world lack access to basic goods and services—from clean water and electricity to an education and the freedom to participate in the economy. We’re here to change that. Our vision is a world based on dignity, where every human being has the same opportunity. Rather than giving philanthropy away, we invest it in companies and change makers.